Numbers Game

The moment you move toward it again, the wire monster snaps at you. Stepping back, you watch as it stretches out from the wall, neck rigid for only a moment- But long enough for you to cut it down if you get the timing right. 

Easy pickings.

With your heart glowing fiercely in your chest, you step forward again, baiting the beast into lunging for you. Its teeth meet empty air as you feint to the left. In a split second, you have your sword raised, primed to chop down and split the bear trap maw from its wire neck.

-But just before you land the hit, you're grabbed by the ankle by another set of jaws and thrown into the air. You slam against the brick ceiling and crash down to the floor, the air knocked out of you. Your ribs ache from impact, and your sword is gone.

But the monsters don't relent. In a heartbeat, jaws are on you again- One pair gripping your calf, another gripping your arm. They pull taut, lifting you into the air and writhing viciously. Pain sears through your muscles as they try to tear you apart by your poorly-armored limbs.

"I'm not your fucking- hh- chew toy," You gasp out, tugging a shorter knife from your soul with your  free hand and slashing out. You connect with one of the wire necks, searing through the metal and destroying it instantly. The head gives one last spasmed gnaw on your arm before dropping off of you.

Your whole body swings down from the release, with one of the monsters still holding you up by your leg. Fighting dizziness, you curl your body and thrust your blade out at the thing.

It shakes its head roughly, thrashing you around before releasing and throwing you against the wall.

Your back and head smash into brick again. Pain lances through your spine and up through your head, and you cry out. Blinding, searing pressure crashes into your skull, leaving you whimpering as you try to regain your bearings and hold down the sudden urge to vomit.

Remorseless and impatient, you hear the robotic shuffle of the beast as it winds back up for another thrust of its maw. 

Ignoring the pain, you shut your eyes tight and roll out of the way. You hear the thing slam into the wall uselessly. 

You start to army-crawl forward, just trying to back out of the fight, but teeth are already on you again. Having rolled the wrong way, you're now in the third wire monster's range, and it hasn't wasted a second. It clamps down on your chestplate.

You don't hurt at first. Those sharp teeth are kept out by your metal armor. But it only takes a moment to realize that you're now in a much, much worse position.

Because instead of your soft flesh snapped up in those teeth, it's the armor that fits you so well- the armor that is now being slowly crushed like a goddamn soda can. You hear the squeal of metal on metal, as well as the slow creak of your armor beginning to bend into you.

Panic hasn't fully set in yet, though. Between shallow breaths, you reach for your soul, determination driving you to summon another weapon.

But a steel trap maw lunges for your arm, snapping it back before you can touch the source of your magic.

It fucking hurts. But you still have a free arm, and there are only two of those things. You reach again, adrenaline pumping through you as that magic builds-

Another set of jaws bites down.

Looking around in the dim light, you can barely make it out, but you still see it. Another wire monster. Nausea sweeps through you in an instant as once again your body is pulled taut.

The thing on your chest crunches down. You can feel your ribs pressing down tight. The sound of your body creaking under the pressure. The piercing pain swelling in your head paired with the sudden terror of being completely and utterly pinned.