Deeper Than You Know

The passageway is dark and foreboding- even darker when you close the door behind yourself. No matter how your eyes try to adjust, you can't even see Spamton's white face in front of you. It's nothing except pitch black and the smell of rusty pipes.

Feeling along the wall, you guide yourself onward. Metal pipes and sealed wires surround you, and patches of the rust you smell sometimes scrape your fingers as you brush past. 

Silence engulfs you as you and Spamton creep forward. The only sound is the shuffle of your feet as you navigate the cramped space. Every breath feels tight, every step feels limited, every sensation is pressed in close. 

You can't imagine why Queen would design this area. You wonder if she even knows about it. 

All too quickly, you and Spamton bump into a door. It swings open on impact, blinding you with light.

Stumbling out into the open, you both try to get your bearings.

Your eyes adjust quickly. The first thing you note- aside from the lack of Darkners, thank goodness- is that the door behind you was not disguised. It must have been a service tunnel, or something like it; Hidden from guests to the main hall, but not to workers? 

Spamton, though, has his eyes glued to the other side of the room.

"We're [[here]]," he gasps.

"Yeah! Wherever here is," you play along, giving him a grin. "Now we just have to find-"

"No, we're [HERE]. We're [HERE]! It'sss$s-" He fizzles out, somewhere between alarm and fear and excitement. 

Following his eyes, you see some kind of holographic wall separating you from the other side of the room. The green barrier is broken only by a physical lock in the center.

Spamton fumbles for his pocket hurriedly. From it he pulls a glowing red key. It vibrates and shudders in his hand, but the feral victory in his eyes is clear enough.

"I kept it [with] me. I kept [it with me]... I nev3r thought [USER ID] get 2, uese it..." He mutters half to you and half to himself. His voice degrades as he continues to chatter, step by step getting closer to the wall.

There's violence in the way he shoves that strange key into the keyhole. The moment he twists the lock, red lances through the green cords of data, making the whole thing look... diseased. In a heartbeat, though, it's gone, along with the wall itself. The lock itself clatters to the ground anticlimactically.

Spamton's grin practically splits his face. You can't see his eyes behind his glasses.

"Spamton...?"

He doesn't look at you. He just walks past the lock and through a doorway.

B1.

Something about this... doesn't feel right. You can't explain it.

The feeling only worsens when you follow him and find yourself shrouded in darkness again.

The light cast from the doorway just barely illuminates a long, dusty flight of stairs. There are no walls closing it in, but all the same, there are no railings. You're sure there must be walls, but you can't see them. It's so dark...

Spamton's every step echoes through the space around you.

"Spamton, I..." Your voice wobbles as you take the first step to follow him. You're hit with a wave of vertigo that sets your legs trembling. 

He doesn't respond. He just descends deeper.

The further down you go, chasing after him as best you can, the more your eyes adjust. You squint into the darkness, and shapes start to become clear.