Rotary

For the first time, you notice it.

The rotary phone.

It sits on a table in the back of Spamton's shop, hidden in a dark corner. It's as though he doesn't want it to be seen, and yet, there's something about it that draws the eye. 

It rings for the second time, vibrating on that little table.

Spamton's jaw unhinges and he lets out a terrible shriek. He dives for the phone, placing it to the spot where his ear would have been had he been human. 

You're frozen to the spot, watching helplessly as static obscures his eyes. He turns slowly to look at you, his eyes welling with oily tears.

"It's for you," he says, his voice startlingly clear. But something's wrong, you can see it. Something's very, very wrong.

You can do nothing to stop yourself as you take a step towards him, and then another. It's as though your body is not your own, when you take the receiver and place it against your ear.

It's garbled noise. It's garbage. It's static. It's meaningless. It hurts your head to listen to.

But you keep listening.

It hurts.

It hurts. 

It hurts.

Are we

Connected?

...

Good.

Hello, Y/N.

We don't have long, so let's keep this short.

This world is

Unstable.

It hurts.

I don't like this.

I know.

Just 

Listen.

You are a player in an intricate chess game.

It needs you just as much as you need it.

It needs you

Now.

Help me

To maintain this game, you need to

It hurts it hurts it hurts it hurts

You must-

The voice on the other line falls back into static. You feel as though you're pinned with the receiver to your ear, though, and you can make out two more words.

Queen

Hurry

After that, there's nothing. You finally release your grip, letting the receiver clatter to the ground. Even so, you still feel something dark gripping you. You still hear the static.

 Spamton rushes to your side, tugging at your pants.

"Are you [May Be Entitled To Financial Compensation]? What did he [[TALK WITH HOT SINGLE MOMS NOW]]??" 

You can hear him continue talking, but you can't make out the words. Your head is ringing. You clutch at it, trying to claw the feeling out, but there's nothing you can do. It won't go away. IT WON'T GO AWAY.

You're on your knees. You don't remember when you fell. Spamton's hands are all over you, and you can feel his healing magic coursing through you, but there's nothing to be done. It's as though your head's been hollowed out and tolled like a bell. You heard a man's words in your head, though he had no voice. You know you did. But what was there even to hear? It's as though he placed the thoughts in your head, but when you try to go over them, your internal voice refuses to work. You can't read the words in your mind. It's the rawest form of silence you've ever known, choking out even the thought of sound.