Shady Business

You lean against the wall, processing everything you've seen.

Zinton's obviously up to something. You know that much, even if you don't know exactly what it is he's doing. You don't know what you're supposed to tell Newt, but at least his brother's alive, you guess.

For better or worse.

...Your mind wanders back to what you were shown by the man on the phone.

You know exactly what you saw. It was a memory from when you were much younger. But what was it supposed to mean? What does it have to do with Spamton? It's not like an old friend or an overactive imagination mean anything to his situation.

...But then you realize what it was that he showed you.

'-The Light World,' you realize. It was your memory, sure, but Mike has shown you things that you had no way of knowing before. He must have some connection to the Light World, since he knew what the sky looked like before you and showed it to Spamton. Knowing that, though, you wonder what else he's told Spamton about the other world. 

So he really did give you answers. You guess you should be grateful, but it leaves you with more questions than answers. Who is Mike? What does he want with you?

You can't afford to think about it right now. You have no idea how much time you lost to Mike's control, and you need to get Spamton's antivirus.

Not sure where you are, you decide to just choose a direction and figure it out from there. Decidedly wanting to avoid Zinton, you think your best bet is to go the way he and Berdly came.

That in mind, you start to walk, keeping your eyes sharp as you look for a billboard and a metal door.

~~~

A foul-smelling breeze crawls through the alleyways, carrying papers like leaves. You don't notice as much at first, but as you go further down the trash-lined path, you see more and more papers scattered on the ground. Eventually, your curiosity gets the best of you, and you pick one up.

It's a simple math test, marked with a penned 'A+' on the top right corner.

You pick up another. This time, it's a literature test, also marked with an 'A+'.

You let both drop. They flutter to the ground, landing among more tests marked with the same grade.

Something about this strikes you as off, somehow, but you're not sure why. 

You're soothed when you go a little further down the path and find an entire pile of these papers. It's haphazard and the wind snatches several pages as you watch, explaining all the ones you saw before.

When you crouch, looking closer, you think you see something pink under the papers...

You hear the sound of a metal door creaking open, and your head snaps to follow the noise. As you look, you see a broad man poke his mint-colored arrow head out, look around suspiciously- clearly not seeing you- and then step outside. He leans against the wall, shoves his hand in his pocket, and pops out a crumpled cigarette. Tucking the thing in his mouth, he rummages in his pocket again, but grumbles as he doesn't seem to find what he's looking for.

You're at an angle, but when you crane your head, you see that there's a billboard over the door. This is your guy. Relief washes over you as you realize you've met him before.

"Need a light?" You ask, standing up and walking closer.

He jumps at your approach. The cigarette tumbles out of his mouth, and he just barely manages to catch it.