Running The Numbers

Having already eaten your sandwich, you stand at the door to your shared room with Spamton, half-empty paper bag in hand. You decided to get him a cup of soup as well as a sandwich, hoping it might offer him some comfort when he wakes up.

Of course, that all depends on the macaron you hold, as well.

You're trying not to dwell on the fact that it might not work, of course. The Hacker's advice wasn't exactly... reassuring. But it can't get much worse when he's already so obviously unhealthy. With the way this world's food has affected you in the past, you think it might at least make him more comfortable...?

You're not sure what's going to happen, really. But you can't stall anymore.

Building up your nerve, you knock first, then make your way into the room.

Newton is sitting on the loveseat next to Spamton, expression dark. He perks up at your arrival, his face shifting into a customer service-type smile, but it's still dampened by his obvious concern.

"Oh! Hello, Y/N! I'm glad you're here."

On seeing Spamton still limp on the couch, you feel a lump build in your throat.

...But when you step closer, you realize that Spamton's not in the same position you left him. His glasses are still full of static, and he's definitely not awake, but he's almost sitting up, now. Before, he was laying down, head against the arm of the couch. 

You squint at the blue Addison next to him.

"Newt, did you move him?"

"No, I- I didn't. He's been- Well, active since you left."

"Active?"

"He's been... waking up, in bursts. It's only happened a couple of times, and it's... almost the same every time. Numbers 'left'. He's counting down, I think? But I'm not sure to what, exactly. I've never-" Newton takes a deep breath, trying to smooth out the obvious quiver in his voice. "I've never seen anything like this. Viruses aren't like this. They're not-" He cuts himself off. "Did you get the antivirus?"

You wordlessly lift the macaron.

"Good," he sighs, obviously relieved. "Good."

He starts to reach for it, but you pull back. He blinks at you, confused, smiling awkwardly.

"What-"

"Let me do it."

"-Oh. Alright." There's a certain understanding that's keeping him from insisting, and you're grateful for it. You left Newt with Spamton because you felt you had to have someone at Spamton's side- You trust Newt more than the others, but in general, not so much. Not yet. You're glad you don't have to fight about it, at least.

He nods you closer, shifting his legs so you can get past him. He scoots to the edge of the loveseat, making room for you between him and Spamton.

As you move around him and take your seat, you set Spamton's lunch on the coffee table. 

You're cracking open the plastic container of the macaron when Newt pipes up.

"...Did you find out anything about Zinnia?"

"..."

You're not sure what to tell him. But you guess you can just start with the truth of the situation.

"...He's trying to influence a Lightner kid, I think."

First, he looks relieved, sighing with a faint smile. You're pretty sure you see him mouth the words "At least he's alive". But once that thought fades, his shoulders tense as he processes what you said.