Chapter 1 - Prelogue

**PAIN** I miss teppei!!!!

I can't believe we have to stay in dorms... why did the school implement this new policy? I have a little sister at home who needs my care, and my mom's too much of a deadbeat to do jack.

Thankfully our neighbors, Mr. Ravingre and Mrs. Gunnhildr offered to check up on my sister often. Though I do worry because Klee, my little sister, is a bit of a hassle... regardless she should be well behaved for adults.

I'm a junior in high school, I am also the president of the chemistry club and have a fair number of friends despite being introverted. My friend group is made up of a lot of interesting people, including this really shy junior who sneaks out to parties and goes clubbing with a fake ID at night, her name is Sucrose... She is in the Chem Club with me because we share an interest in science.

I am also friends with four sophomores, two of them are calm and collected, one of them is really aggressive, and the last one... she is interesting. She teases her brother relentlessly and is super rude, but it's only joking. Their names are Noelle, Aether, Xiao, and Lumine.

Aside from all of that I'm packing my stuff up and I hear a crash and a yelp... no two yelps. I sigh, Klee invited Diona over again. Both of them ride the bus to school together and have single parents so they bonded despite Diona being three years older than Klee.

I walk into the kitchen to see Klee's piggy bank, broken into a million pieces with coins, mostly pennies, strewn across the floor. Klee starts crying and apologizing and poor Diona looks so guilty, I just can't be mad.

"B-big brother it was my fault... Klee just wanted to be helpful..." Klee sniffles, "You and Mommy are always fighting about paying the bills... a-and Klee just w-wanted t-to to help." Klee bursts into tears again and I draw her into a hug.

"Shh it's okay Klee, me and Mommy have this handled, worrying about money is for grownups..."

"But B-brother Albedo," Klee wipes her nose on her sleeve, "you're not a grown-up, grownups are eighteen, and... you haven't even had your sixteenth birthday... Klee thinks you are not an adult yet."

I sigh and tell Klee and Diona that I will clean it up for them and that they should go play outside. It's such a shame that children get roped into issues like this.

I cleaned up the mess and put all the money into Tupperware for Klee... I really hope she will be okay on her own.

I have to leave tonight, tomorrow morning is the check-in for all dorms... I put it off for too long.

Diona goes home and I give Klee some dinner and say goodbyes.

I'll make sure to visit on the weekends.

I arrive at the school and carry my stuff to my assigned dorm... I wonder who I'll share with.

I hope it's someone I can stand, I really wouldn't be able to bear it if it was one of those loud guys... Especially one of those three, I mean Thoma wouldn't be that bad, but Kaeya and Childe are such slackers, all they do is annoy others, especially Kaeya, he's the worst. Thoma is a little calmer and he is more of that mature friend... but still I don't want to share a room with any of them!

I walk into the room to see the other person's belongings organized neatly and groceries in the small-sized kitchen section. Our dorms are similar to hotel rooms... there is a bunk bed, two desks, a closet, and a kitchen area, all in one room. There is also a separate bathroom.

There are textbooks for advanced courses sitting on the other person's desk, thank god I might be able to get along with this person and it's certain I won't get Childe, Kaeya, or Thoma. They are always so loud and nonchalant, there is no way they put any effort into school.

I hear the shower going in the bathroom, so I knock.

"Um are you my roommate?" I call through the door.

"Yeah, I'll be out in a few, just give me a sec" shouts a boy from the other side.

I decide it's in my best interest to unpack, so I get to work. I didn't bring much so I'm done in no time...

The shower stops and I hear the sound of someone drying off in the bathroom.

I'm almost excited to meet my new roommate, their desk is decorated with pictures of Mr. Ravinger, perhaps they are related? Knowing him and his wife, this roommate must be amazing.

I'm just thinking about how we might become friends and we could have so much fun together, when the door creaked open. I turn to see my new roommate...

I am thrown for a mental loop...

My new roommate is...

Kaeya!?!?

So much for a relaxing school year.