Chapter 32

The day had been nice. Too nice, in Izzie's opinion, to learn that your parent is a murderer and so's the man who fathered her. While she knew that her f- that bastard was not, and never would be, a good man, given how he got her mother pregnant, she wasn't really prepared to learn that they were both murderers.

If anything, the day should've at least resembled the mood that Izzie was feeling. The day should've been cloudy, maybe heavy with rain and wind.

After her mother finished explaining, Izzie went quietly to her room, not wanting to hear anymore until she further processed the information. Then when she didn't feel like doing that right now, she just went out through her window and started walking. She originally intended to keep walking until she got to the patch of woods and then turn back.

Izzie kept walking.

She knew she wasn't exactly a normal kid, wouldn't get to be one with all the constant moving. And she didn't even get to use the excuse of her mom's job to justify the moving, only that she's on the hunt for her father. And that doesn't really sound like something you'd say to a friend when they ask why you're going away.

And she was already attached to this place, had a few great friends here and- well, she felt attached to only one friend. The rest of the group, Izzie couldn't really see herself hanging out with them without Erica. Didn't feel close enough to them, despite how fond she was of them.

To be honest, Izzie always felt the group merely tolerated her because Erica was nice to her.  She didn't even know why Erica liked her, given how quickly Izzie latched onto her, how obviously selfish she was for only wanting to be alone with her rather than the other guys. Erica was smart and awesome, she must've noticed how she only opened up to her instead of the quiet way she was with the others.

Erica-

"Hey Izzie!"

As if summoned by her thoughts, Erica popped out from behind a tree, startling Izzie. Her big eyes bright and clear, teeth bright white in her usual kind of smile.

"H-hey," Izzie stammered, almost forgetting about the news that pulled her down. Hen it hit her again, sullying her mood. Geez, she didn't want Erica to be put down by her own issues that she can't even tell her friend, not when she's looking at her like-

"Let's go for a quick run, before we go see the guys, yeah?" Before she could finish her thought or reply, Erica grabbed her hand and dashed off into the woods.

Izzie tried to protest at first, wanting to be both alone and with her at the same time. But only one prevailed as she let herself be dragged, eventually putting effort to keep pace with her. She let a small smile form as she started to feel a little better.

Soon, after 5 long, but nice, minutes of running and dodging the trees, they stopped near the biggest one in the woods, catching their breath.

"So, Kylie said we can stay the night if our parents say we could," Erica said, panting lightly. "Obviously, my mom wouldn't care as long as I'm not bothering her, but how 'bout you?"

"Uh," Izzie thought of going back to the house, then frowned. "Uh, yeah, she won't mind. Who's all-"

"Just me and you," Erica cut her off, "girls night, minus the other girls in the group. We don't have to mention it."

"Oh," Izzie felt her heart race for some reason. She felt lighter and happy, especially since she won't have to force herself to mingle with the others much. She couldn't wait.

"Yeah?" Erica smiled, leaning against a tree.

"Y-yeah, great!" Izzie didn't mean to sound louder, but laughed when Erica laughed.

"What's great?" Parker appeared with the others, eyebrow raised inquiringly.

"We were talking about.." Izzie didn't hear the rest of Erica's explanation, too giddy with the thought of hanging out with Erica for one night. It's been a while since it's been just them for more than just an hour before one other interrupted. She really couldn't wait.

The rest of the day passed fast for Izzie, her only interactions with the others, excluding Erica, mostly short. But they were used to it, they knew she could go from talking a bit longer to merely humming in response depending on the day. Soon, she faked going to call her mom, though she just turned it off and then went back to Erica. Then they walked the others home, and then finally, went to Kylie's house.

"Hey girls," Kylie greeted, holding Scout's collar when the excitable dog tried to jump on them. "I hope you brought a blankets, Scout here just tore up the spare one, sorry."

"That's ok, Kylie," Erica said, petting Scout. "We can share."

Izzie smiled, a small blush warming her cheeks as Kylie brought out cookies and hot coco, then promised to make pizza (and pizza rolls) for the two later. She participated in the conversion with Kylie, finding her honestly less exhausting than the others, and continued to pet Scout, who constantly wanted attention.

Soon, night came, their bellies full from dinner, and Izzie and Kylie were ushered into bed, Kylie being a full believer in a good nights sleep though she would let them sleep in if they'd like. Izzie would personally like.

She sat on the floor, reading one of Kylie's books while Erica sat in the bed, also reading.

"So, I noticed you didn't actually call your mom."

What?

"What?" Izzie stopped from spluttering, thankfully. "I did, really."

Erica gave her a knowing smile. "I followed and stayed behind a tree, Iz, you didn't."

Guilt weighed heavy in Izzie. "Ok, I didn't."

"Feel up to explaining why?"

Izzie stayed silent for a bit, going over what should be safe to tell her friend. While she wanted to blurt out the truth, she knew Erica wouldn't say she was lying, but what she didn't know was how Erica would react.

"We had, an argument."

After Erica poked a bit more, gently, Izzie tried to explain a much, much, softer version of what her mom said, then added that she's going to move away soon. She struggled not to cry when she got to that.

"Oh, wow," Erica said after she was done, looking more upset at the end. "That- I'm not gonna lie, that's a bit upsetting."

"I know," Izzie nearly choked, crossing her arms and nearly hunching into herself.

"I'll really miss you, Iz, you're my best friend."

I am?

She looked up at Erica and saw the honesty in her warm eyes, feeling both joyful and heartbroken. "You're mine too."

Erica smiled, then let it drop, looking away at the wall. They stayed silent for a bit, eventually Izzie went onto the bed, with a safe distance between both of them. The quiet felt nice, more to mull over how she's going to cope after leaving.

"Y'know, me and the guys are planning something," Erica spoke up, looking a bit determined.

"Yeah?" Izzie asked, leaning a little toward her.

"We weren't going to tell you this soon, but it's something great. I just know you'll agree, won't you, Izzie?"

——————————————

What did Erica propose 0-0