Chapter 21

"... is this an orphanage?" Izzie asked, staring at the depressing building with a few kids peering out. "Or wait, are you actually selling me?"

"Wha- pfft, nah." Clyde laughed, waving to one of the kids. "This is a foster home, I know the guy who lives here and half the kids."

"I don't. Kill. Kids."

"Right." Izzie said, following Clyde in.

"Uncle Clyde!" One boy, looking around 10, ran up to them, grinning widely. "I got the book! I got the book I wanted! And it's awesome!"

A girl around 11 with a ponytail appeared. "I got more Naruto episodes!"

"Gale let me watch an R-rated horror movie!"

"Mike asked me out!"

Wow, Izzie wished she grew up around these kids.

'Ashamed of your past ones?'

"Clyde, hey!" A man looking around his early thirties walked up to them, smiling. "Didn't know you were around. Who's this?" He peered curiously at her, making her uncomfortable.

"She's a lot older than you usually-"

"Yep! This is Izzie, a friend of mine's daughter! Iz, this is Gale." Clyde said, interrupting loudly. Well, she's losing what little trust she has in him. "And she needs a place to stay, get away from everything."

"Oh, for how long?"

"Not that long." Izzie said, avoiding Gale's gaze. "Just until I..." She trailed off, frowning.

How long was she going to stay? Until she's done with the nightmares and horrific events? And how long would that take?

And this is assuming that Clyde isn't going to dump her here and never come back. Or if this Gale even would let her leave.

"Hey, hello?"

Izzie blinked, looking up and seeing Gale's concerned expression. "Wh what?"

"You got a little distracted there, missy." Gale said, raising an eyebrow. "Why don't you sit with the other kids while me and Clyde talk? Tina, come here and meet Izzie." He called to the ponytail kid, who rushed over excitedly.

"Hi Izzie, I'm Tina Locrat!" She greeted cheerfully. "Do you like anime? I love anime. Are you more of a sub or dub? I prefer sub. Oh, and-!"

"Hold on, Tina." Gale interrupted, grinning. Izzie smiled, the little girl's excitement becoming contagious. "Why not go talk over there while me and Uncle Clyde talk right here, hm?"

"Oh ok, c'mere." Tina grabbed Izzie's hand and dragged her to a table, then pushed two boys off their seats.

"Hey!"

"What's that for? We're sitting here!"

"Me and Izzie want to sit here." Tina stated, a challenging glint with in her eyes.

"Izzie, who's that?" The boy with glasses asked.

"She's Izzie, duh!" Tina pointed at her with exasperation. "Now shoo, John, go play with Sara or something. You too."

Izzie felt bad, watching the two boys grumble as they walked away and sat down. "Was that necessary?" She asked.

"Yep, those two always hog this area." Tina answered. "Now, I'm 12 years old, how old're you?"

Ah, Izzie was wrong by a year. "17."

"Wow, almost an adult! That's so cool." Tina said, looking at her with admiration. "I can't wait to get older, then I can get a job and start buying whole series of anime! But my best friend doesn't wanna get older, dunno why. She said stuff like responsibility and too much effort, but I think she doesn't like change. Though-"

She cut herself off abruptly and giggled, flushing with embarrassment. "Sorry, I'm being a chatterbox, aren't I?"

"No, it's fine." Izzie said, smiling. Her delightful chatter was at least distracting.

"Oh, ok. I always tell her that change is necessary, and if she gets her own job, she can buy whatever she wants, but she doesn't really listen all that much. I love her and all, but it's sort of ticking me off, y'know?" Without waiting for a response, Tina continued, not that Izzie was complaining. "Anyways, you've heard about Naruto before, right? Probably, and it's literally the best thing ever for me!"

Izzie watched and listened closely to her rambling, humming in response when asked a question -ones that waited for her to answer anyway- smiling all the time. This was nice.

After a bit, she glanced over to the adults, narrowing her eyes at Clyde as she wondered just what he was saying.

"Yep, and that's how I won the bet and got a yummy cake." Tina said, looking smug. "Wow, that's the first time anyone's ever listened to me that long."

Izzie smiled. "Really?"

Tina pondered to herself, then shook her head. "Well, other than Gale and Uncle Clyde." She admitted, grinning towards the two adults. "Oh, and Erica too, can't forget her! She's my best friend!"

—————————

How was the chapter? Good? Garbage? Tell me!

Oh, and may I ask just why, why do bees and wasps want to be inside of my home? I simply want the heat to be gone, but they start to buzz around and freak me the fuck out and I have to suffer in the heat while they stick around for who knows what. BUZZZ OFF

Vote and Comment!