Chapter 29

At some point, Izzie wandered out of the room to find someone else she'd like to have avoided. Clyde, who stood in the kitchen with a determined expression, like he was gonna make something edible in the unused kitchen or so help him.

"Hey kiddo, feel like having raw veggies and maybe a chunk of jerky?" Clyde asked casually, like she hadn't yelled at him and Erica in, like a day or two ago. "Caught a rabbit out there. My dad taught me how to hunt and cook my catches."

Izzie mumbled incoherently in response, letting herself fall into a chair.

"Great, 'cuz Erica won't shut her mouth about you, she likes to worry and I can't really stand it because I'll start to worry too, whether I like it or not."

Izzie nodded absentmindedly, leaning back and shutting her eyes. Listening to Clyde ramble about something either about Erica or the other kids, though she didn't bother focusing. It was nice background noise, at least.

"So, had the big fight already?" Clyde asked, rousing her back to reality. "Only got here to see Jeff leaving. He didn't look like his usual asshole self, so I'm guessing you won?"

Izzie hummed in agreement, reaching for a carrot.

"Good for you. So you ready to head back home?"

Home? To her mother or to those kids? Izzie frowned and shook her head.

"Ah, alright. Then we'll just hang around here then."

"... What do you mean we?"

"There's some normal guy who's killing people close by, and you seem too drained to properly defend yourself, so I plan on being your bodyguard until the psycho is caught by the police."

"I don't need a bodyguard."

"Hmm, alright." Clyde nodded, then smiled.

Izzie nodded as well, satisfied and reached for another carrot. As soon as she grabbed one, she was startled when he abruptly gripped her wrist, tightly, pulling her up and slamming her onto the table. She bared her teeth in anger, free hand reaching blindly for a weapon that wasn't a vegetable, though she mused that she could jam a carrot into his eye. But she stopped when a knife planted itself beside her head, dangerously close to cutting her ear.

"What the hell?!" Izzie yelled, trying to rip her wrist from his hand.

"Don't need a bodyguard, hm?" Clyde hummed, releasing her wrist and taking the knife away. "The killer is roughly the same size as me and probably faster. You're still a little green when it comes to fighting, considering that you only fought your mother and a few others."

"I-"

"Plus, those guys were taking it easy on you. You only won your fight with Jeff because you caught him by surprise, and he wasn't planning on fighting you at all."

Izzie grit her teeth, glaring heatedly at the older man. "Fuck you."

"Nah, you're too young for me, and I go for men."

Izzie screamed in frustration and tried to hit him, failing when she was pinned down again.

"I also don't like your habit of letting your emotions get the better of you during your fights. You'd fight better with strategies and wits." Clyde released her again, crossing his arms and looking down at her with disappointment.

The rest of the evening was spent with Izzie trying and failing to take down Clyde until her inevitable exhaustion took over and she reluctantly accepted that Clyde would stay with her. And she was stuck with endless stories of his interests and life.

"My old neighbor's grandma used to be a big time chef, she'd invite me over to learn how to cook once she found me heating crappy microwaved food. Should've heard the way she yelled me when she saw that they were expired. Too bad there's no proper ingredients here to work with, I could make..."

"This one guy I liked, Joshua, loved the idea of us living away from civilization. I liked it too until I found out how much of a whiny baby he was when we actually went away for what was supposed to be a month, into the wilderness. He left in three weeks. Complained about the bugs, complained about the fish I caught, complained about the absence of tissues. I was happy when he left and I got with another guy named William and he..."

"I love Greek mythology. I cannot tell you how much Disney's Hercules makes me laugh. Because of the idea of Zeus being a committed father, hahaha!"

"For a awhile, I was in a weird relationship with this girl -I was curious, shut up- she was really cool to be with and though I definitely had no interest in women, we tried out this thing called pegging-"

Eventually, Izzie feigned sleepiness and escaped to a room. Though, she probably should sleep. Should get enough rest to convince that man that she's good enough to defend herself. She doesn't need help.

Right?

_______________

I just realized something, looking back at a comment. I forgot abortion was an option and I feel so dumb now😅. So let's all pretend that Jane had forgotten that was an option too or this story wouldn't have happened, Kay? Kay.

Vote and Comment!