Chapter 25

The next day was awkward. No never mind, it was something more like 'calm before the storm." Either something was going to blow up or the day just felt plain numb.

Izzie felt numb.

Gale had come in the morning, informing her that she's free to join the kids or just stay in. He added that Clyde was staying in his room, sleeping the day off. He asked if she needed anything, if she was hungry. When she shook her head to either, he left, telling her to find him if she does need anything.

She stayed quiet most of the time, managing to keep herself entertained by thinking of constantly painting a wall white, then switching to other colors when complete. It was oddly calming.

'Not that you deserve to be calm, deserve to be at ease.'

Nothing kept those thoughts away ('your thoughts, dear'), unless it  gets bored with no reactions.

"Izzie! Mind if we come in?" Tina asked, voice muffled by the thick door.

Izzie blinked at the door, then decided to lie down, thinking that she'll go away. She didn't want the little girl to see her like this, to ask questions-

"Okey doke, c'mon."

Izzie went frigid when the door opened, throwing the blanket over herself to rub her eyes and to get herself under control. As soon as the lump in her throat went away, she got up, glaring at Tina.

And Erica #2 was there too, unreadable expression and glassy eyes that managed to pinpoint where she was.

Izzie felt a chill, imagining for just a moment that Erica #1 was in her place. Judging her.

"Sorry, we know Gale said to leave you alone, but the fastest way to cheer up is to have company." Tina declared, then faltered. "Or at least it works for me. Are you good?"

Izzie frowned, shaking her head. She didn't want company. Didn't deserve company. To feel cheerful.

Tina pursed her lips and reluctantly nodded. "Ok... c'mon, Erica, let's go read together."

Izzie started to lie down again, but saw Erica staring right at her. For a bitter moment, she hated those eyes. Doll-like, empty. She restrained a grimace and relaxed when the girl finally turned and followed her friend.

'Judgmental, aren't you.'

—-—

After a few hours of mindlessly staring at the wall, tucked in tightly, Izzie began to feel the creeping feeling of hunger. Though the thought of food made her nauseous and weak.

Reluctantly, she got up and wandered the hall, searching for Gale. Or anyone would do. Why was the house empty?

She turned back and found a note taped to Clyde's door. Oh. They went on a nature walk.

So she returned to searching for some food, specifically something that won't make her want to throw it back up. Maybe carrots, or plain bread. Or hell, she could just choke down something else.

"Damn it Gale, at least close the damn blinds before you leave-"

Izzie turned to see Clyde staring, his hair disheveled and dark bags hung under his eyes. She felt tense under his stare and held her breath in case he did something. Then without another word, the older man turned and went back to wherever Gale's room was.

She felt utterly sick as he left her sight. Nauseous and weak.

Pathetic.

Her stomach turned and she nearly dry heaved, clutching her stomach as it ached to release something that wasn't there. She ran to the sink and vomited, nothing but bile and meager crumbs of whatever came out. Her mouth tasted vile, causing another dry heave, her throat burning.

"Yeesh, at least drink water."

Izzie didn't respond, didn't bother looking back to look at Clyde. She hung her head in the sink, tears brimming in her eyes. She heard footsteps and felt the man nudge her away, turning the faucet on and pouring water into a cup.

"Here, hydrate yourself. Janie might blame me and try to kill me for neglecting her daughter."

Gratefully, Izzie took the cup and downed it. "Thanks." She rasped, quickly pours herself more.

"Yeah yeah, move over." Clyde filled his own cup.

After having her fill, Izzie sat down, feeling mildly better. Though Clyde might be feeling worse, due to the inevitable hangover and likely migraines. She didn't need to feel miserable compared to him.

"The look of self-loathing, how I know it well." Clyde grumbled, flicking her forehead. She hissed in surprise as he smirked. "Stop thinking so damn much, s'not your fault."

She narrowed her eyes at him, but he got up and started to walk back to Gale's room. "I don't know what you mean." She muttered quietly, though it managed to catch his ear.

"Maybe you do, maybe you don't. If you're interested in ranting while no one's around, find me kid." With that, Clyde disappeared.

For a few moments in silence, Izzie finally looked down and sighed, pouring herself another drink. She wanted a hug from her mom.

————————————

Hmm, I seem to just be pouring all my own self-loathing into this character... how horrible of me XD... DX!

Man, I want a hug (someone to hug me, not me initiating it :( ), a real hug not the too tight ones I get from my best friend that are meant to suffocate me. Or maybe I do want that kind of hug. Any kind of hug... I'm hug-starved, someone hug me DX.

Anyways, so what will happen next while Izzie and Clyde have the whole house to themselves for.. who knows how long? Will Izzie finally talk about her own problems (something I need to do, except I don't really need to) or will she continue to bottle everything up? Will that nasty voice be back? Will Clyde reveal more of himself? Will she make that damn sandwich? Who knows?!

Vote and Comment!