Chapter nineteen

> TW: note that Enfield holds a very stereotypical view on how people with mental illnesses act, which may be upsetting for some readers.

CARRIAGE

"Have you gotten everything?"

"Yes, I think so"

"Good, let's go"

Utterson and Enfield waited outside Utterson's house for Dr Jekyll's carriage to arrive. Within seconds they could hear horse's hooves hitting the pavement signalling Jekyll's arrival. The carriage stopped in front of them and from it emerged Jekyll who looked rather surprised and confused. He was only expecting Utterson to be there as it would allow him to spend some quality time together but now that Enfield was there, his plans only became wishful thinking. It would have been a perfect opportunity, spending a whole season with his favourite person, they would converse about intellectual topics and learn and share notes on the study of psychology on a sick patient's mind. Enfield was like an obstacle that was impossible to jump over or overtake, he would keep coming back like a pestering fly buzzing obnoxiously in his ear.

Of course the feelings were mutual between the two rivals. Enfield couldn't stand the sight of him. He just wanted to get rid of him, in fact he wanted to get rid of them all. Why must it be such a challenge to get Utterson alone with no one else. This challenge would only be amplified due to the fact that now Jekyll would see him as a mentally unstable human being and consequently no longer take him seriously meaning that Jekyll wouldn't see him as a potential threat, which was not necessarily a bad thing as now he would be able to strike when the doctor would least expect it.

Jekyll popped out of the carriage.

"Punctual as always Dr Jekyll"

"Indeed." replying with a smile on his face "let me take your bags...may I ask why Mr Enfield is here? Is that why you asked me to bring a bigger carriage?"

"Ah well...he's...-."

"-Mentally ill? Because if so, it isn't much of a surprise..."

"At least I wasn't the cretin who thought it was a good idea to bring a monster back life." Enfield snapped.

"Ah the mad man strikes again-"

"Could you two stop bickering for goodness sake!"

"That vulgar doctor you're friendly towards started it."

"Vulgar? How dare you insult me like this?"

Utterson rolled his eyes, picked up his suitcases and passed them to the driver in order for him to store them in a safe place within the vehicle. He then climbed the steps and sat comfortably in the furthest corner of the luxurious seats away from the door.

Whilst in the middle of their vocal battle, the two noticed that Utterson was residing within the carriage. The two glanced at each other the raced for the seat next to Utterson. They both reached the entrance at the same time and got stuck. Their backs were against each other, they looked like worms trying to wiggle themselves out their habitat.

"Jekyll just be the bigger person and let me take the seat" you could hear the strain I Enfield's voice.

"Why can't you be the bigger person for a change?"

"I can't believe a doctor is treating a patient so terribly."

"So you finally admit it, you will be the newest patient at Hearts House asylum."

"Yes and I'll be filing a complaint to Human Resources."

"Tsk."

The two men finally entered the carriage. Enfield rushed to the seat next to Utterson and smiled smugly at Jekyll. The doctor smirked back.