Chapter two

APPEARANCE

"Jekyll!"

Utterson dashed towards the unconscious man shaking him erratically.

"Mr Poole!! Mr Poole I say!" Utterson cried

A slim figure emerged from the darkness. He was clothed in the finest attire and had a large intimidating scar across the side his sharp  face. Utterson was unable to identify who he was, this was unsettling to the very least- perhaps Jekyll hired a new butler.

"Mr Poole Isn't here" the mysterious man spoke in a cool tranquil tone.

"Who are you?"Utterson said nervously whilst unconsciously squeezing Jekyll's hand.

The entity moved slowly towards Utterson.

"You don't remember me? Am I that forgettable?" The stranger replied slightly irritated

Utterson was bewildered- the man was speaking in riddles, what did he mean?

"I'm sorry sir but I can't seem to-"

"I suppose my appearance is confusing you. I used to look quite different, many thought I was deformed due to my appalling features and my, what was it- "troglodytic" or "animalistic"mannerisms used to frighten anyone who came across me. In fact you were one of them"

Suddenly the puzzled thoughts inside of Utterson's mind came together.

"Mr Hyde? It can't be- you shouldn't be here! I though you were dead!"

"So did I for a while, that was until Jekyll developed a more effective solution, he was able to completely remove his "dark side" and make it into living being-me. Although he could never fully get rid of a part of human nature. Fragments of evil are still hidden within him. There are side effects of course, you are witness to this. Only one of us can live at a time, so we have to take it in turns- that is unless he invents a better potion..."

"This is utter nonsense! Ever since Jekyll's near death experience at the laboratory he promised not to ever bring you back"

"You can never take the crazy out of a crazy scientist" Hyde chuckled to himself. He walked a few steps closer to Utterson a kneeled beside him. Utterson was still holding Jekyll's hand.

"Say, you two seem to have a close relationship" Hyde said sternly.

"Yes, we've know each other for years, we're close friends nothing more"

"Close friends you say. You're body language is telling me differently"

"What?" Utterson replied

Hyde pointed at the intertwined fingers of both the unconscious and the conscious men.

"Ah!"

Utterson swiftly removed his hands from jekyll's and turned red from embarrassment.

"I should go, thank Jekyll for his hospitality."

Hyde didn't respond. Utterson sensed an air of annoyance in the room and couldn't figure out why. He took his leave, grabbed his coat and headed towards the the door to open it. As soon as the door opened the door was slammed shut. Hyde had his arm firm on the door.

"Mr Hyde I demand you let me out at once"

Utterson turned around. His back was on the wooden surface and his eyes where set on the taller man. Hyde got closer to Utterson both of their faces near enough to touch, he moved his face slowly to the side of Utterson's visage.

"Don't you dare mention me to anyone. Understand? Otherwise I will kill you. Just like sir Danvers Carew." He whispered harshly.

Utterson swallowed hard.

"I understand. Now if you would be kind enough to let me out I'll be very thankful."

Hyde opened the door and let Mr Utterson out, his sight never left him until he couldn't no longer be seen.