Chapter three

MY DEAR COUSIN

Utterson stood pointlessly staring at...nothing. His mind was filled with ceaseless thoughts to the the point they took control of him. So many unanswered questions- why would Jekyll continue with his experiment? How did he do it? Is he suffering? Why would Jekyll lie to him?

Utterson simply had to tell somebody but was frightened by the consequences.

Deciding to hide his thoughts and feelings to the deepest corner of his mind he slipped into his humble bed to rest.

***

*Tap*
*Tap*
*BASH*

The sudden sound of pebbles hitting the window of his room aggressively woke Utterson up from his peaceful slumber. The weary man stumbled carelessly out of his bed slipping on an old shirt that lay on the icy wooden floor. Utterson arose from the ground and reached the window opening it.

"My dear cousin! What a wonderful day to be strolling around this glorious city filled with horse shit! Are you ready for our Sunday walks?" Mr Enfield shouted sarcastically.

"No."

"Why are you still wearing your nightwear you lazy bastard! Did Jekyll tire you out by-"

"I suggest you shut it Enfield!!"

Mr Enfield sniggered at him and placed both his hands on his luxurious wooden cane, he didn't need it but Enfield had a habit of spending his money unnecessarily. Enfield was Jekyll's childhood friend he wasn't actually related  to him, however they where close enough to refer themselves as family. He liked the idea of being somewhat linked to Jekyll it was a way of claiming him as his own.

"I'll be waiting" chuckled Enfield.

A few minutes later Utterson walked out of his home and headed towards his cousin to greet him and started walking down the pathway that lead to the local park.

"So how's your handsome beau doing?" Asked Enfield jokingly.

"For the hundredth time he is not my beau!"

"Hmm.."

"It was fine"

"That was rather simple answer, did something happen?"

"Nothing happened, besides it is none of your businesses"

"Why do I get the feeling you are hiding something from me"

"There's nothing to hide"

"Lies"

"..."

"Gabriel, you can trust me, I can sense when something isn't right, you don't have to tell me but I know it is never good to bottle up your worries inside" Enfield spoke softly and smiled at his friend.

Utterson looked down and started fiddling with the hem of his waist coat anxious at the thought of Hyde, he looked back up at his friend and said,

"Yesterday night at Jekyll's place... I had a disturbing encounter with an old acquaintance...you might not believe me but the acquaintance was-"

"Good day gentlemen"

A suave voice interrupted the conversation between the two.

"D-Dr Jekyll!" The cousins said jointly.