Strange Saviors

Kit awoke in a trance. His leg was still numb, and broken, and bloody, but he felt more alive. Was this adrenaline? He watched as a gray and brown husky entered the den he was in. He panicked trying to run but remembering his useless leg. 

Kill me. Kit thought.

"I don't see a valid reason we should keep it alive. It's a waste of time from those crazy cats you let in. I should have killed them when I got the chance." The brown one said. 

The gray one had a warm smile on. "He's a kitten. We need to protect him." 

The brown one noticed him awake. He whispered something to the other and the gray dog began to walk toward him. 

"Calm down and ignore Bruce. He's moody. I'm Spark by the way! What's your name!" Spark smiled.

"...."

"Kit."

"That's a strange name." Bruce mumbled.

"I like it!" Spark replied.

"We're gonna need to fix your leg. It broke in four when you got injured." Spark began. "When I say three I'll snap it back in place. Once we're done we can wrap it."

Kit reluctantly agreed. 

"One. Two. Three!" Spark yelled.

Kit let out a pained yell. One piece down, two more to snap. That went on until Spark was done. He then placed a branch next to his leg and wrapped it with a leaf. Kit stood a bit easier but still had pain. 

"Is the kitten ok?" A voice said. 

Kit turned toward it. Scruffy stood there afraid of his response. He seemed worried about him. His enemy. 

"Oh he's walking. Does Fang know about him?" 

"No. We kept him a secret like Shadow asked. We have a private den in place for him already. Is he your brother?" Bruce replied. 

"No. He's a friend." Scruffy answered nervously, shooting him a look that told him to shut up.

He obviously went along with it. Scruffy took him to his new cave and laid him down. 

"You must have questions."

"What happened after I blacked out?" Kit asked. He wanted answers.

"Shadow heard you. Obviously you were in so much pain you didn't care. She brought me and I brought you out the road. It was early in the morning. How long were you there?" Scruffy said. 

"Midnight." 

Scruffy seemed to be concerned. 

"Fang doesn't know about you. Keep it that way until you're healed. I'll come for company until your release. I don't have the heart to kill an innocent kid." The cat mumbled. 

He had never gone behind Fang's back. He was nervous he would be caught and the kitten would be killed. He'd keep Kit safe until he can go home.