Loss

"HELP ME HAWK-SCAR! I'M FALLING!"

Hawk merely looked down at the cat. She had tears in her eyes. She was young. Too young to die. He looked at the fire below. If she lived, he might die. If she died, he could return to his friends to finish Sage and Golden off. 

Hawk stared at Meadow. He got down to her level.

"You're begging the enemy for help. Do you remotely understand how WEAK that makes you?"

Meadow remained silent. She attempted to pull herself up, but only fell further down. She was truly in danger.

"Pity. I don't expect much fighting skills from a healer cat. They heal. Not fight. But, I want to test my skills. I'll help you up and we can fight. If you win, I'll let you go. Deal?"

"Deal..." Meadow replied as Hawk-Scar helped her up.

Hawk dug his claws into the carpet beneath him. Meadow walked around him, awaiting his first move. 

"Make your move Meadow." 

Meadow lunged at him and went for his eyes. Hawk stopped her and pinned her down by the face. She panicked and dug her claws into his forearm. Hawk let out a hiss and let go. Meadow got up and jumped on his back, biting deeply into his back. Hawk landed in the ground with a thud. 

I have to go all in don't I... Hawk thought to himself.

Hawk rolled on his back, crushing Meadow beneath him. Meadow pushed him off and but his ear. Hawk let out a meow of pain and pushed her away, taking a bit of ear off. 

Meadow landed near the stairs, sighing with relief she hadn't fallen again. She tensed up as Hawk approached her.

"You fought well. Unfortunately for you, not well enough. How do you wish to die? Burning alive or I rip your throat out myself?" Hawk smirked.

He paused when he heard noises. Loki ran from around the corner with Golden on his tail. Golden pounced, giving Loki time to dodge. Golden crashed into Hawk-Scar, causing him to miss his hit on Meadow. 

"Loki! Kill Meadow and I'll hold off the mutt!" Hawk yelled.

Meadow began to stand. Loki made quick work of the cat, jumping at her throat and biting it. He heard a sickening crack and dropped the body on the floor. Meadow was dead. 

"NO! MEADOW!" Golden cried, running toward the limp corpse.

Loki cleaned the blood off him.

"It had to be done." Loki mumbled. 

Loki had fought before while stealing from other strays. But he never killed anyone. Meadow was his first kill. He had a hint of regret, more shock going through his blood. 

He watched as Golden cried over her body. The two acted like siblings. He imagined himself in that position. The couldn't imagine a world where his brother was gone. His beloved Thor. They were all each other had after their parents passed due to sickness.

He kept chanting to himself his own words. It had to be done.

"Come on Loki! We gotta go! Fang's probably outside already!" Hawk yelled as the two made a run for it.

"Hey Golden! You're gonna die if you stay here!" Loki yelled as he was running.

Golden remained still. He was aware of the raging fire coming for him. He made a promise to Meadow. He wouldn't lose her like he did Hawk-Scar. So, he was going to stay there and protect her. He didn't care if he died.

"So be it."