5- Madeleine Gets Injured

*+*After some time*+*

Espresso returns to the construction site, looking around. "Hm? Where has that cookie gone. I have a specific task for him."

Snow Sugar helpfully replies "I think Madeleine cookie went to the smithy."

Espresso rolls his eyes. "Such is the fact of life... Never there when needed. Very well, I will handle this myself."

As he starts walking, he thinks to himself "How does that cookie always show up when he is not wanted, but disappears the second he could possibly be useful?"

He enters the ruins to search for the Rarities needed. At that moment, Madeleine approaches Alchemist and Snow Sugar.

They're upset. He joins the conversation. "Tell me! What troubles you?"

Alchemist turns to him. "Madeleine! Espresso is in danger!"

"Where has he gone? I must save him!"

"He went to the ruins to get the Rarities we need, and he went alone!"

Madeleine starts running. "I shall return with Espresso as soon as possible!"

When he reaches the ruins, he sees evidence of Espresso's battles.

He takes a deep breath. "ESPRESSO COOKIE!"

No response.

"Can you hear me?! Answer me! ESPRESSO?!"

More silence. He runs deeper into the ruins. He rounds a corner, and sees Espresso, who asks "Huh..? What is going on this time?"

Madeleine gasps, smiling and running over to him. "ESPRESSO!!!"

He hugs him, then lets go. "Have you been waiting long? I have come to save you!"

Espresso quickly defeats a monster who was about to attack Madeleine. "Correct me if I am wrong, which is not possible, but... I believe it is I who have saved your life."

Madeleine looks behind himself. "Speak true, good friend!" Then he notices more monsters. "Were it not for my timely arrival, you would have struggled to return."

Espresso stares at him. Madeleine gestures to the monsters.

Espresso turns and sees them. "... I will admit this one fact. Perhaps you are not as useless as I initially judged. Break through their lines."

He prepares a spell "I will cover you from the rear."

Madeleine nods, then charges at the monsters.

*+*One intense battle later*+*

Espresso helps Madeleine up. "You were too reckless."

Madeleine coughs, then smiles. "I vanquished the enemy, did I not?"

Espresso drapes Madeleine's arm over his shoulders, then wraps his arm around Madeleine's side to keep him from falling.