47- Attempted Kidnapping

Madeleine nods, staring at the ground.

Espresso gently pets his hair. "It's not something to be ashamed of. I can help you get glasses. You most likely have better eyesight than I do, so you won't need glasses as strong as mine."

"Oh I- I'm not ashamed of it.. I just.. My vision has been like this since I was a kid. My parents convinced me it was normal..."

He leans on Espresso's side. "It's not like we couldn't buy them. We had more than enough money to buy glasses. They just.. They wanted me to be perfect."

Espresso gently holds Madeleine's hand and starts walking with him. "Why would having glasses make you less perfect? Glasses would give you perfect vision."

Madeleine sighs. "It's a physical aid that cookies would be able to see. Apparently my image is more important than my ability to see."

"Well, you'll be able to see once we get your vision tested and glasses made."

Madeleine smiles. "That would be nice, to see better."

*+*the next day*+*

Vanilla and Pastry are walking to the smithy. He's basically become her bodyguard at this point.

Avocado smiles when she sees them, then walks over to the shelf of completed projects.

She hands the sword, in a scabbard, to Vanilla.

Pastry looks at him. "Who's that for?"

"Oh, I'll tell you later." He pulls it out of the scabbard and carefully looks at it. He smiles. "It's perfect! Thank you, Avocado!"

"It's not a problem!"

Vanilla puts the sword away, then waves goodbye. He clips the scabbard to the belt he put on this morning.

He and Pastry start walking again.

She's still curious. "Can you tell me now?"

"Yeah. It's for me."

"Why do you need a sword now??"

"You'll see."

She shivers. "I.. That sounds terrifying."

"Oh, I'm not gonna attack you with it. That would be rude."

The area they're in doesn't have as many cookies. They hear the familiar click of a crossbow.

Vanilla turns and catches the bolt, then glares at the Shadow Sister.

They load another bolt.

Vanilla runs towards them, and they quickly shoot. He catches that one too.

He grabs their arm, the one with the crossbow, and moves it up so they can't hurt anyone.

He picks them up off the ground. "Can you stop trying to kill my friend? It's not very polite."

"If you do not get out of my way, I will kill you too!"