Chapter 16- Ace The Test

Author's Note: Danke Strawhatpatrice for bringing me back into the game after 2 1/2 years of writer's block. <3

Chapter 16- Ace The Test

Rachelle looked at me and gave a small smile before turning to her brother.  The sadness in her eyes faded away, replaced by energetic sparkles.  "Can we finish playing Naruto, Chi-san?"

I waited, in alarm that Rachelle would ask that after what just happened. I thought all the fun and games was over.

"Uncle is almost home." Was all Chase replied.

"Oh."

That Oh again.  Rainbow sparkles turned into a parched graveyard.

Rachelle turned towards me and gave me a reassuring smile.  "Time to meet the rest of my family."

"Rachelle.  No." Her brother was firm and unyielding.

"Well, it's too late." Rachelle answered.  "He's already here."

"'Ello." My gaze shot towards the door, standing there a short, stocky man wearing an expensive looking deep blue suit.  His short wavy black hair fell onto his forehead as he bowed to me.  "You must be Richard McKenseth." His accent was thick French.

"That's what it says on my I.D." I replied.

"Hm." The man smirked and gave me a direct stare, holding out his arm to Chase.  "Excuse my nephew for his rather poor decorum and misdirected ill manners.  I am Laurence Mitchelson. " He bowed deeply to me and I nodded my head, not sure what to do.  "Please... come into the den downstairs. You and I, we have much to discuss.  Children, follow."

My eyebrows tipped slightly up at the intense formality.  I wiggled my glasses and followed Uncle Laurence, Chase, and Kura down the stairs, Rachelle at my side.  I felt ill trouble thicken the air, tiny stagnant bubbles of fear hidden in between the oxygen atoms.  I was intimidated by Rachelle's uncle's behaviour and old-fashioned ways.  We entered the den, which was really just a large living room with three long sofas shaped into trinity with a triangle table in the center, enough room between for a waitress to serve champagne, if there ever was one.  The throw rug looked over a century old, very luxurious and very expensive.  This family certainly fit the type to have a waitress, or butler.

"Have a seat, Mr. McKenseth.  Make yourself comfortable while Chase and I gather refreshments."

"Where's the butler?" I joked without thinking.  Great, my nerves got the best of me.

Laurence glanced at me with a cold, biting glare that if I had been any closer my hair would be icicles.  I opened my mouth to apologize when the corner of his lips tipped into a condescending grin, the very tips of his teeth barely showing from beneath.  The dim orange light below the ceiling shimmered against the pearly whites.

"He's hiding in the china cupboard." He answered in a chilling, almost serious tone.

The back of my neck burned just as Rachelle let out a few giggles.  Laurence slowly turned his gaze towards his niece and her giggles died down.  What kind of strict authority where a silent glare could hush your family member to total submission.  He held great influence and control over her, almost too much...

After a few seconds, she tugged on my arm and dragged me down to sit next to her on the couch.  Uncle and nephew headed to the kitchen and I was left with my so-so girlfriend, and her brother's girlfriend, to contemplate for a few minutes.

"Still having doubts?" Rachelle murmured.

I looked at her and noticed a subtle sadness glazing the corner of her eyes, despite the ever-lasting smile.  I thought to myself.  Am I still having doubts?  Why should I not be with her despite the teacher/student relationship?  That one day she changed... how can I explain it to her?