Chapter 13 - What's Going On With Her

• Присвячено Broken Vases

Chapter 13 - What's Going On With Her

Finally I get to know 'what's going on' with Rachelle.  We're sitting in my sister's living room at midday, after a late brunch of pancakes and orange juice.  No coffee... I'll hold off on that drink for a while.  Along with another drink...

Kate and Chev went to on a date they'd been planning for centuries, to an ice skating rink and invited Rachelle and I to go 'as double dates'.  I was about to decline when Rachelle said 'yeah, I'd love to!' With a stunned look I had been about to object when she'd spoken again.  'But I can't, because I have to babysit a little later.'

Shocked, I'd said goodbye to my sis and brother-in-law.  Kate said I was not allowed to leave the house until the mess was cleaned.  With a sigh, I obliged.

Now it's bordering 1 o'clock and Rachelle's sitting on the couch with a curious look on her face, legs crossed, palm placed on one leg, and with a stunning close-mouthed smile.  I just got done picking up all the broken pieces of Kate's vase and cleaning up the kitchen with Rachelle and now there was a subject I wanted to breach...

"So our deal," I say, walking over to the sofa.  It's not easy sitting as far from her as possible as I planned because she's sitting exactly in the middle.

She just looks at me sweetly.  "Alright, I enjoyed our exquisite date so I will tell you, Richard."

With a look of anticipation and concern, I clasp my hands together and lean forward on my knees.  I wait for her to tell me but she just remains silent, as if tongue tied and gazing at me.  "Well..." I say softly.

"Oh," she sighs harshly in innocent shame and looks at me apologetically.  "It all started when I was sixteen... I was on the bus ride home like every normal day only it was extremely cold for the time.  I had forgotten my jacket at home.  This new girl appeared to me and handed me a soft, flannel jacket and started talking to me about random stuff, weird stuff, but I was so ecstatic.  I was Rachel Mitchelson, nerd Freshman, who never even got a date with the ugliest kid in school, let alone the coolest."

"Wait, your name is Rachel?" I ask.

She narrows her eyes at me... "Yes, I got it changed when I was 13, cause mother never really calls me Rachel.  May I continue?"

"Yeah..." I mutter, focusing intently.

"So there I was talking to Miranda Anderson-"

"Miranda Anderson!" I exclaim, despite myself.

"Yes, Richard Miss Mohawk Miranda Anderson," she replies giving me a stern look.

I blush and tell her to continue and she smiles, placing her hand on mine before continuing.  I don't know what to think about that... a simple gesture and it should warm me.  But it doesn't.  Her hand is ice cold.

"Anyways, she offered to take me to a party that week and to take me shopping for it.  Telling her I couldn't afford the clothes, she told me no worries and said she'd pay for it all, as long as I promised to go the party.  So I agreed.  So I went to the party... and after that, I never wore glasses again.  Or cardigans... or anything more than the simple bare necessities.  Now I'm the hottest girl in school and every guy loves me."

I narrow my eyes and think carefully on this 'cliff notes' version of the story she gave me.  So... she went to a party and got popular ever since?  There's something missing...

"There's something you're not saying," I say, truly concerned.

She cocks her head sideways with that grin of hers. "What?  You don't believe that a nerdy girl can get popular overnight?"