Chapter 20 - Think Fast

~ Seven in the morning, School~

He's here... I can feel his presence. I walked down the school hallway with the hair on my neck stiff as a porcupine needle, sharpened and ready to strike at the one who threatened me.

"Pleasure to meet you all." The thick French accent could not be mistaken for none other than him.

I entered the teacher's lounge, Mr. Kinman and half the teachers already there, Turner, Jenny, Mr. Trotter and Mr. Simmons.

And him.

"Gerard Valmonte le Ghent. Mr. Le Ghent for short." His voice was like Rachelle's family's... reveled in mystery and sounding like death.

"Turner Harper, Jennifer Jenningson, Gregory Trotter, and Bob Simmons." Mr. Kinman announced everyone to the newcomer, including me. "And Richard McKenseth."

"Pleasure to meet you all. Merci beaucoup for the warm welcome." Though he spoke to everyone, his royal blue, almost black eyes were fixated on mine.

Long curly black hair, pale skin, lips tinged with purple as if forever cold, forever dead. The manner in which he stood, his shoulders broad and polite nods and handshakes, he didn't fit in to a modern society. His etiquette was ancient... probably over two hundreds years old. It reminded me of the Regency Period films. As everyone was introduced he offered his hand to me for a handshake. I took it without hesitation, without suspicion.

Ice cold! Brrr... It was the end of Winter, and my hands never got that cold. It reminded me of all Rachelle's skimp outfits and she never felt cold once.

"Pleasure." He nodded to me.

I returned the nod with an empty greeting. "Welcome."

When everyone dispersed to their classrooms, I followed Le Ghent to his. I wouldn't let the day pass without a confrontation. Without answers. When he entered his classroom and turned the light on, I followed him in. He turned towards me in a swift, lithe movement while I shut the door and locked it.

Here I was, a mere human in a locked room with an ancient vampire. Was I crazy?!

"So... you are the humain. Either the absence of your usual nervousness lends you new confidence, or incredible stupidity."

And he did very well to remind me of that.

"And you aren't a descendant of French royalty." I replied smoothly without stutter. My nerves were fading, I was becoming a different person in the mirror of my fate.

"If indeed, I am not. Then what am I?" His eyebrow lifted with amusement and he looked at me in waiting.

"You are the ancestor."

With attentive, calculating eyes he attempted to stare me down. I adjusted my sunglasses to focus better. I watched him set a black leather satchel on his desk and sit in the chair while never averting his gaze, and neither did I. Clasping strong, white knuckles together he leaned back in the chair to study me.

"I'm impressed by your acute calculative skills." He gestured with his eyes to a table chair in front of his desk. "Have a seat so we shall get better acquainted."

My eyes widened in surprise. That chair hadn't been there just seconds ago. Was he so fast to move that chair in position without me noticing? It's... impossible. He never left my sight!

I walked over to the chair and sat down. "Where's Rachelle and her family?" I asked immediately, not waiting for pleasantries.

The corner of his eyes tensed, the muscles in his cheeks stone-still. "You failed to become Kin de Sang. Why?"