Chapter 10 - First Date, Cats and Coffee

• Dedicated to Darth Vader<3

"A janitor's closet?!" I shout in disbelief.

"Where else was I supposed to drag you?  It would freak people out seeing you next to the pool, possible... dead."

Turns out Rachelle had been called by the school and asked if she was okay.  Then they told her to pick up the homework she'd miss or get someone else to pick it up.  Seeing how she was capable she came to the school.  Not being able to resist she noticed I wasn't in the cafeteria and asked Ms. Jenningson where I was.  She had shrugged and just said 'I'd left in a hurry' after my water glass had broken.  That's when Rachelle had luckily found the pool and saw me.  Alone.  I had asked her if she spotted anyone, particularily wearing black or red.  And she'd said no, she didn't see anyone. Not even wet footprints leading out of the pool.

I have my suspicions... But I couldn't tell her I think it was her brother who tried to kill me.  The accusation, if turned out to be wrong, would cause damage that would be irreversible.  But who else could it be?  Her brother turns up at school and suddenly someone tries to drown me?  It's too close to be coincidental.

So the rest of the school day was boring and slow... and Rachelle insist that I don't tell anyone I was almost murdered since there was no evidence of any intruder.  For all everyone knew I had just decided to go for a swim, in my clothes.  And my glasses are missing. We had checked the pool and the area surrounding, having no such luck.

Before sticking my clothes in the school laundry (cool, huh?), and getting a spare change of clothes I always keep on hand, I had asked Rachelle to tell me what's going on since we'd made a deal.  She told me: "You failed to specify the when and where.  Have to go on our date first."

With a sigh of defeat I'd agreed with her and demanded she must tell me after our date then.  No tricks, no schemes to trick me into forgetting, and whatnot.

8:00... So now it's 8 o'clock.  And I'm at home and it's a Friday night.  And I have a date with Rachelle Mitchelson, the hottest girl in school, and the one with the worst grades to show for it.

DING DONG.

Pa answered the door.  I thought I was supposed to pick you up! I think, panicked.

I leave the kitchen and see Rachelle chatting up a storm with Mama Bear while Pa talked about our upcoming fishing trip next month.

"You forgot your homework again, didn't you?" Pa says.

Rachelle bats her eyelashes, glancing at me as she notices me walk into the foyer.  "Why yes, how did you guess?  I've been sick for three weeks and now I have to ketchup with my studies."

I stifle a laugh at our little inside joke and clear my throat when mum looks towards me.  "Well looks like you'll have to make it quick or you'll be late for your date."

"Yeah, I'll be ready in a minute," I quickly reply, trying to avoid Rachelle's lifted eyebrow.  She quickly returns to her normal sweet self when mum starts talking to her again.

Yeah... I told mum I had a date tonight... at 8:30, which Rachelle was supposed to wait at her house for me!  Always making a surprise appearance puts me on watch now.  Mum had assumed I was going out with 'Jae Jae' which mum now calls Ms. Jennings.  I hadn't said anything and had buried my head into making dinner before I would be caught.

I quickly wash up and change my shirt into a pale green dress shirt with a deep green vest over it and black dress pants.  Going back to the room I grab my leather jacket and the keys hanging up on a hook on the wall while Rachelle says her goodbyes to my parents.  She turns towards me and starts apologizing so thickly and in an innocent mocking tone I freeze utterly.