Chapter 5 - Just A Ride

• Dedicated to The Fast and the Furious

A/N: This story is my weakest point so far... I know it's kinda slow and whatnot.  But I will definitely have things rolling in the next few chapters.  I really lost all my good inspiration.  Blech.  Vote and comment go help me get it back?  Haha.

Danke for the support.  Instructive criticism appreciated.

...

Chapter 5 - Just A Ride

8:01.

DING DONG.

My pa got up to get the door while I did the dishes.  I turn the faucet on and wipe a few plates and utensils when I hear the low muffle of hyper conversation.  Probably one of mum's girl friends. I thought.

Whistling a tune, I dry the dishes and put them in the cupboard.

"Mr. McKenseth!"

SCREECH.  A RECORD RIPS.

That is NOT who I think it is... is it?

I turn from the cupboard and come face to face with my pa and... none other than Rachelle Mitchelson's huge smile, lips slightly parted.

"This young lady here forgot her homework at school," Pa said.  I gave him an incredulous look before quickly changing it to a welcoming, warm smile to hide my shock.

"I feel so guilty," Rachelle bats her eyelashes at my pa and gives him the poutiest lips ever.  "I'm failing all my classes because I always forget my homework."

My jaw drops.  That is NOT why you're failing... NO.  It's because you spend your time doing 'OTHER' things.

Pa buys right into her little act.  "Aw, such a sad little  girl.  Don't worry, Richard will get your homework for you.  Hey, Rich, I'm goin' to read, see you tomorrow, son!  Bye, Rachelle."

"See ya, pa." I barely manage to answer before he leaves the kitchen.  He calls her Rachelle!

Immediately, Rachelle's frown turned into a seductive smile and she lifts an eyebrow at me.  "It's after 8." She simply states.

"Rach-Ms. Mitchelson," I quickly save.  My heart is pounding in my ears, my hands clammy and still wet from washing the dishes.  "We're not going out-"

"You were supposed to pick me up at 8!" She complains.

I glance at the clock. 8:02.  "It's only two minutes after!" I stutter.  "Didn't you even wait at your house?"

"I did wait!  You're Mr. Goody-Two-Shoes Perfectionist Extraordinaire.  You're never late for class, you're sharp as a pencil.  I knew you weren't coming while I watched the clock."

Apparently, she is sharper than a needle.  Or just completely over observant.  She takes a step forward and I quickly walk my way around the island cabinet to put distance between us.  What if she pulls the same stunt as eariler?  I'm glad there aren't any chairs in here...

I take a deep sigh trying to calm my nerves, shooting off like the Saturn V.  "Ms. Mitchelson, I made it clear," AHEM. "... that I wasn't picking you up tonight.  I'm a teacher.  You're a student."

"Oh, that argument again?" She bats her eyelashes rapidly.

"Did you really leave homework at school?" I ask, trying to change the subject.

"Yes..." she answers. "I always do."

"Couldn't you have just waited until you went to the dance to get it?"

"What, and waste my time when I could be dancing?" She takes another step, my hands gripping the edge of the island tightly.

Good point.  She loves dancing.  Wait, am I agreeing with her?!