Chapter 2 - Study Buddy

"So, you're meeting with London tonight to work on the history report? It's kind of strange that she actually came to you for help."

Zack and Cody were on the way back to their cabins as the sun set over the sea, casting a golden glow over it. They entered the hallway near their cabin doors. Zack said, "She asked me because you nor Bailey agreed to help her."

"That is because she would make us do all the work. You two have about the same level of smarts, so I think the pairing perfect."

"That's what she said, but in only so many words." He paused and gave his brother a look. "Hey, we are not on the same level of smarts."

"In academics, you're on the same level."

Zack pointed to his chest. "Hey, I can be pretty smart when it's the real world, like numbers with dollar signs in front of them for example."

Cody nodded. "I admit that you're right, but that's in math. This is history. You pronounce Louis XIV 'Louice Siv'."

They stopped at their cabin doors which were right across the hall from each other. "Hey, that may be true, but I know my history. Remember how we tutored Kirby that time? I have a way of remembering things." He pointed to his noggin.

"And then you forget them the moment the test is over."

"Hey, Zack!"

Both guys jumped from the loud outburst as London came scampering into the hallway in her tall heels. She linked arms with Zack, and he couldn't help but notice that perfume again. "C'mon study buddy! Let's get started. I have to finish this project so I can go shopping in England when we arrive there."

"But we're arriving in England in two weeks," Cody countered.

"Exactly. C'mon!"

She pulled Zack away, and Zack heard Cody shout "Good luck!" and then laugh, amused by the whole situation. Before Zack knew it, he sat next to London in her and Bailey's room on the other side of the ship, and their history book was open in front of them on London's desk. It was on her side of the room but was used as a second vanity desk. Perfumes and makeup adorned the table, and there was just enough space to put the textbook and notebook out.

"Now, let's get this done quick," London said, and Zack smelled that oh-so-nice perfume again. He attempted to ignore it, but it wasn't working. Why couldn't he ignore it? He was sure she had worn them before.

"Okay, how about I read, and you write?" he suggested.

"Okay!"

Zack started reading from the text book and he noticed that London wasn't writing a thing down in the notebook. She looked over to him. "How do you spell 'history'?"

"I didn't even say 'history.'"

"I know. This report needs a title, duh. I was going to write it at the top of the paper."

Zack thought a moment. He knew London could read better than she could write, even if she read slowly. He guessed she had a point in saying that she wanted to get this done in two weeks—it would take her a whole day just to write a paragraph to this two-page report, a report that was due in a week, but according to her, will take two weeks to write. Same ol' London.

"Okay, how about I write, and you read?" he asked.

"Okay," she chimed, and he pushed the textbook over to her as she handed him the notebook. She started reading, slowly as he predicted, and he wrote down what she read into his own words. This would take a while. He wanted to hit the buffet before the spicy shrimp ran out. Actually, before Woody gets there. All the food would be gone then.