Chapter 12 - A Heartfelt Goodbye

"Goodbye, Zack."

"We'll miss you."

Zack's chest tied into knots as he stared at all of his friends as he and they stood on the helicopter pad on the ship, near the red and white Tipton jet. Mr. Tipton hadn't shown up yet. Cody put a hand on Zack's shoulder. "I'm gonna miss you, pal," he said, and Zack stared at his brother. Cody read his look. "Hey, we'll think of something."

"Like what?" Zack scoffed. "All my stuff is packed, Mom's expecting me at the ship port at eight o'clock, and I was already taken out of the school records. There's no coming back for me."

"Don't say that," Bailey said and stood up to him. "Like Cody said, we'll think of something. Mr. Tipton was being too harsh, and rather irrational, too. How could he think that this is better for London when she's going to hate him for doing this?"

Zack frowned at the mention of London. After she went off to talk to her dad earlier, he hadn't seen her. Maybe it was for the best that she not be around when he left.

"There's Mr. Tipton," Woody said and the three friends looked over and saw a bunch of guards—Mr. Tipton was hidden in them as usual. Mr. Moseby was with them as well, and he was grinning. Zack huffed. Well, Mr. Mosey finally got his wish after five years—Zack was leaving for good.

"I hope you have a pleasant journey to Boston," Mr. Moseby said to Mr. Tipton.

"Thank you, Mr. Moseby. I admit it will be disappointing to fly into winter when it is so warm here."

"Yes, but you can just fly right back if you wish."

"Yes. Well, I must be off. Is Mr. Martin ready?"

"Yes, he his," Mr. Moseby said. "And we will all miss him terribly."

"Psht," Zack let out to his friends. "Mr. Moseby is probably that happiest that I'm leaving. He's been wanting to get rid of me since we first came to The Tipton when we were twelve."

"Correction," Cody said, "he wanted to get rid of both of us."

"But me the most. Man... why did I have to be such a hooligan?"

"It's just the way you are," Woody said. "You wouldn't be you if you didn't have some hooligan in you."

"But it got me kicked off the ship and it's forcing me to leave all you guys, and the girl I love."

"And speaking of which, where is she?" Bailey asked. "I told her we were seeing you off, but she just stayed in the cabin. I'll call her." Bailey got out her phone and started dialing London's number. Zack went and shut the flip phone before Bailey could make the call.

"Don't bother. She doesn't want to come see me off. Honestly, I don't want her to, either. It'll be too painful."

Zack's brother and friends gave him a sad look, and Woody looked over. "Sorry, Zack, but it looks like you'll have to feel some of that pain. There's London."

Zack's heart dropped when he saw London walk up to them, her straight brown hair blowing in the wind. Why the heck does she have to look so beautiful now of all times? When she came closer, he noticed tears in her eyes and they were falling down her cheeks. He and London locked gazes, and Zack had trouble swallowing since his throat tightened.

This was torture. He turned and faced the jet.

"Daddy, please, don't make him go!" he heard London shout as the wind howled around them.

"I've already made up my mind, London. You'll get over him, just as you have with the other boys you've dated."

"But I told you—Zack's different! I've known him for a long time, and I love him! Please, Daddy!"