Chapter 9 - Real Heartache

The knocking wouldn't stop. Good thing the doors had locks.

"Zack, c'mon, open up!" Cody shouted from the other side of the door. Zack didn't bother to get up. He didn't bother to do anything. He just wanted to lie in bed and feel sorry for himself and for London and keep himself from going out and punching out every couple who looked happy and in love and who didn't have someone wanting to keep them apart.

"Yeah, we have brownies with extra fudge!" Woody added, and Zack heard Cody whisper not to lie to him.

"C'mon, Zack," Cody pleaded again. "We have to get to class!"

They weren't going to leave him alone unless he opened the door. He groaned in irritation and got up and opened it. Both boys smiled at him, with Woody waving. He needed his brother, not their curly-haired friend. "No offence, Woody," he muttered and pulled Cody in, shutting the door in Woody's face. He heard a "Hurtful!" from Woody, but Zack ignored it. Cody eyed his twin.

"Whoa, what happened? Your eyes are all red. You've been crying!"

"I'm aware, genius," he grumbled and went back and collapsed on his bed and hated that the tears wouldn't stop. He didn't even bother changing out of the gray sweats and black shirt that he slept in. "I'm not stepping a foot out of this room, not when I could run into London."

Cody stared at him for a moment, then nodded. "Oh... you two had a fight."

"No, we broke up."

Cody's eyes widened at the blunt statement. "What? Why? You guy were so happy and perfect for each other."

"Yeah, until her dad stepped in."

Understanding filled Cody's features. "He doesn't want the two of you together."

"Yeah."

Cody went and sat near his brother on the bed. "I'm sorry, man."

"Yeah, so am I."

"What did Mr. Tipton say? Didn't he know that you guys were dating?"

"Yeah, but before, he just let it slide because London was so happy. He kept us out of the media since he was embarrassed by me, but now, he's tired of putting in the effort of keeping it quiet. He just wants me to stay away from London since he's never liked me because of the trouble I've caused in the past. He thinks that I'm a bad influence on her."

Cody remained silent, and Zack sat up, eyeing his brother. His mean look made Cody talk. "Well, it makes sense. I mean, you have caused trouble in the past, and you and London have cut class before."

"Thanks for taking my side," he mocked bitterly.

"I'm just saying that I know where he's coming from. I'm sorry." Silence ensued, and Zack wanted to dive into his blankets again. "So this is it, then? You guys are over?"

Zack frowned. "It was either break up or he sends me back to Boston to live with Mom."

Cody's eyes widened. "Seriously? That's low, even for Mr. Tipton."

"Tell me about it. I thought it would be better that we break up and I still see her, rather than going back to Boston and never see her again. Plus, I love this ship and sailing around the world, and well..." He met his brother's eyes. He might as well tell him the truth. "I don't want to be separated from you, man, as annoying as you are."

Cody smiled and put his arm around his shoulders and shook him a little. "Aw... thanks, Zack."

Zack brought Cody's arm off of his shoulders. "Don't get used to me saying that, okay? It was just this once."