Chapter 17 - What's Really Important

Mr. Moseby knew about Mr. Tipton coming this time, and the young adults stayed far away from the ship's owner when he came. All of them were seated around the smoothie counter as Johnathan, Zack's co-worker, was busy making a Banana Blast smoothie for an elderly lady who was seated on the far right of the smoothie counter. She eyed all the young adults seated around the counter, but they ignored her as they were absorbed in their conversation.

"I really hope that this works," Cody said as he had Bailey and Casey on either side of him. Casey intentionally sat closer to him, and Bailey had her arm in Cody's just to show possession. London snickered at that, thinking that Casey really had no chance with Cody, but the girl was determined... just as all of them were with the whole situation they were in.

"It will work," Casey assured them. "My dad can be pretty convincing."

"And so can mine," London added. "This isn't going to be pretty."

"Well, we'll just have to see," Bailey said.

London didn't want to wait. She wanted to see how this was unfolding. She stood up from her stool and told her friends, "I'm going to Daddy's suite and listen in on the conversation."

"You're going to eavesdrop?" Cody asked.

"Yes, that's exactly what I'm going to do. You guys can stay here and die of impatience and... that word where you really want to know something."

"Curiosity?" Cody guessed.

"Exactly."

She left, and as she left, she found Bailey and Cody come up to her, and of course, Casey was next to Cody. And of course again, Woody was next to Casey. "We'll come with," Bailey said. "I'm also curious to know how the conversation between Mr. Tipton and Mr. Covington plays out."

London smiled and turned and was on her way. Her friends followed her to her father's suite, and when they arrived at the doors, which didn't have security detail by them this time, they all leaned against the doors, listening in. London heard her father's voice first—

"Mr. Covington, are you saying what I think you are saying?"

"I am, Mr. Tipton," came another male voice. Casey smiled and whispered as she held onto Cody's arm, which Bailey wasn't thrilled about, "That's my dad." Both Cody and Bailey figured that they couldn't rid themselves of the girl, so they dealt with it.

"Shh," London whispered. "I want to hear this."

They all listened and heard Mr. Covington's say, "Mr. Martin will graduate from Seven Seas High on my account. I have already contacted his mother, and she was very accepting of my offer. But... it is a bit difficult to have him graduate from said school when he is currently not attending it."

"Why would you care so much about Mr. Martin?"

"Well, he is a good friend of my daughter's, so I feel that it would be in her best interest that her friend be happy. I want her happy as well, so I would like it if your daughter remain here on the ship to keep my daughter company."

There was a pause for a moment. Mr. Tipton said, "Oh, I see what you are doing. You are trying to push those two together. Well, no. I will not allow Mr. Martin to be in the same place as London, and that's final."

"Would you really deprive my daughter of her happiness when you have already deprived your daughter of hers?"

"What did you just say?" Mr. Tipton demanded in an agitated tone and raised voice.

"The truth. And, I understand that your company relies greatly on the revenue that my company gives to you. Will you be able to refuse my offer if my company simply stops sending you money?"