Chapter 13 - Back in Boston

Zack never thought that he would see the inside of this suite again. It was certainly a sight for sore eyes, literally, since his eyes were stinging with tears constantly, but he didn't let them fall since he didn't want his mom to see him cry. Being his mom, though, she knew how he felt, that he hated coming back home. He felt her hand on his shoulder as he stood there near the door.

"Well, welcome home, Zack."

"Yeah. Right."

He went and slumped down on the pink sofa that he and Cody had always sat on, watching TV and playing video games. Carey came and sat next to her unhappy son. "This isn't as bad as you think, you know," she said as she sat next to him. "Think of this as a break from your life at sea."

"But that's the best life that I've ever had." He huffed as his chest tightened and he tried his best to hold his tears of anger and hurt down. "This is what I get for falling in love."

"No, this is what you get for fighting Mr. Tipton."

"Yeah, and falling in love caused it all."

She put an arm around his shoulders and eyed his frown. "I'm sorry, Zack. If I could do something, I would."

"Believe me, I would, too. In fact, I tried, and I ended up here, away from Cody, away from London, away from everyone."

She nodded. "Yes, it really is troublesome. You know—you can't help how you fall in love with. Take me and your father for example."

"You two got divorced."

"Yes, but we had the two of you." She squeezed his shoulders. "Love is a beautiful thing, Zack, and I think that it's so wonderful that you fell in love with London. Actually, I thought that you two would get together at some point."

Surprised at that, he looked over at her. "Really?"

"Yes. You guys have been close for so long, I figured it would happen eventually. I couldn't be happier for you two, and more furious with Mr. Tipton for ripping you two apart, and for ripping you away from your amazing life at sea."

Zack nodded. "Yeah, it was amazing, but now it's back to normal, boring public school in the inner city and a job here at The Tipton."

"Hey, Esteban was really generous with that bellboy job offer."

"Yeah. I guess I'll go from riding the luggage carts to pushing them, just like he did before he became night manager."

"That's karma."

Zack frowned again. "Yeah, this whole thing is. It's because I was such a trouble-maker back then that I'm here now. I wish I wasn't like that back then. Maybe then, Mr. Tipton would be fine with me dating London."

She squeezed his shoulders again. "But that is how you were and I wouldn't have you any other way."

He met his mother's eyes. "Really?"

"Sure it was difficult like all the time, but... you being the way you were made you who you are now, and I wouldn't trade that for anything."

Zack smirked. "Thanks, Mom, and I guess you won't have to worry about me causing trouble because I'm just going to be depressed all the time. I don't know if I'll ever be happy again."

Carey was silent for a moment, then said, wanting her son to feel at least a bit happier, "How about we forget about all that for a moment and order pizza? Whatever you want, with whatever sides you want."

Zack's interest piqued. "Seriously? Any pizza with any side?"

"Yes. Whatever you want."

"Sweet."