brothers (Dick&Jay. not ship)

Sometimes, Dick wouldn't see Jason for months at a time. Not for a lack of trying, or because one avoided the other, but that was just simply the life of a vigilante. The life of a batkid. 

And it sucked! 

Dick's feelings for Jason were deeply rooted in brotherly love that never went away or faded. He had always loved Jason, even when he was being an insufferable pre-teen...and some things never changed. 

Through it all, Dick really tried to be the best big brother to Jason, for however brief the time was that the younger Robin spent at the manor. Whether be got it right or not, he counted it good for trying. 

And when Dick found out Jason was alive, he'd admit it, he cried. His first little brother, the one he made all the mistakes with and almost lost many times before the Joker took him away, was actually alive and well. 

Well, mostly well. 

Finding out his long lost brother now returned was a notorious villain, none other than the Red Hood for that matter, well it broke his heart. 

Still, they managed to make up, save their relationship and become the brothers they once were. Jason's relationship with everyone else was...complicated to say the least, but at least with Dick he had a trustworthy confidante. 

Not that he'd admit it, but his ring tone for Dick is the Golden Girls theme song. 

It's nights like this though, Dick finds himself sitting on a rooftop, enjoying the odd silence of the city while watching the stars. 

It was refreshing in so many different ways and he cherished it. Nights like this didn't come very often in Gotham. No villains running amuck or wreaking havoc. No one to chase down and beat up. Just the sound of the occasional car or bird. 

Dick laid back against the roof, letting the cold seep into his suit and relax his back. He really should see a chiropractor, he wasn't getting any younger. Then he closed his eyes, taking in any smell his nose could find and any noise he could hear. 

One noise made his nose scrunch up and he opened his eyes, looking off to the side near the fire escape. In the shadows he could just make out a figure, about his size, but just a little shorter. 

"Not often you catch the Boy Wonder off guard. What a night." A low chuckle had Dick sitting up quickly, grinning widely as he recognized the figure. "Jaybird." 

He stood, not even needed to hesitate before rushing to his brother and jumping on him in a bone crushing hug. Legs and arms wrapped around the slightly bulker body. "God I missed you." 

Jason yelped out, catching Dick and just barely gaining his balance before falling over. "Jezz, what does the old man feed you these days." 

Dick laughed and snorted. "I have you know I am in top condition and weight for someone my size and shape. If you can't hold me, maybe you should work out more." He playfully slapped Jason's arm before continuing to hug him. 

Jason laughed. Deep and happy. He hadn't been expecting to see Dick tonight. He actually hadn't been expecting to go out at all, yet here he was getting glomped on by a way to optimistic blue bird. 

"Good'ol Dicky. It's good to see you." He just stood there letting Dick get the hug out of his system, not that he was really complaining. He'd missed Dick. He'd be lying if he said he didn't miss the hugs. 

"Good to see you too Jaybird. Let's not wait so long next time, yeah?" Jason laughed, nodding as he practically peeled Dick off of him. "Yeah. Sounds good to me." 

Yeah, it's not often that Dick and Jason run into each other, but on the nights that they do, the world just seems a little better for a while. If only just for a few minutes.