1st Christmas (Dick/Wally)

Dick's POV

I stepped into the doorway of mine and Wally's apartment, shutting the door with a soft click before stomping my shoes off on the mat to get rid of the excess snow and dirt. Slipping each of them off, I gently kicked them to the side.

It had only just gotten cold a few weeks ago, so I wasn't at all prepared for the blanket of snow we received last night, but I definitely wasn't complaining either. I loved snow, but I was glad to be inside.

Thankfully, the air inside was warm and as I breathed in, I grinned, closing my eyes for a moment to take in all the different smells. Peppermint, chocolate and cedar wood. It smelled like Christmas.

It made me think of my childhood. Before meeting Bruce and becoming Robin. Back with my birth parents at the circus. Wood burning in a fire as I drank hot chocolate, listening to everyone laugh and dream about the future.

I always got a peppermint stick on Christmas morning. A tradition of sorts that continued even after I moved to the manor thanks to Alfred and I kept it alive by always making sure we had all kinds of peppermint around during the holidays.

When I opened my eyes, I caught sight of an overly large, green and tensile decorated tree in the corner of the living room. Ornaments of all shapes, sizes and colors hung all over it. It was the tree we'd just picked out a few days ago.

The couch had very festive throw pillows and a few blankets spread across it and a couple small, green and red wooden trees were sat on the coffee table along with a decorative Santa plate.

Not far from that, above the fireplace, the mantel was decorated with its normal items; a few picture frames and a small wood box that had some family mementos, but now it also had a popcorn garland strung across it with fake snow around the frames and a "Days till Christmas" calendar to the right.

As I stepped further in, I turned, looking to my left to see the open kitchen island covered in an array of Christmas treats. Everything from cookies to fudge and even little candies. I knew this was the source of the yummy smell.

And there in the middle of it all, wearing a green striped apron and a red shirt, was the love of my life. My best friend, teammate and husband of 6 months now.

Wally.

I grinned as I made my way to him, slipping my arms around his waist from behind and pulling him into me. I heard and felt him chuckle against me as he leaned back, turning his head to kiss my cheek.

"Hey." His voice was soft and happy as he turned in my arms to face me and give me a proper kiss. His lips tasted like fudge and nuts. I couldn't get enough and wanted this moment to last forever.

When I pulled away, I just smiled at him, wondering how I was so lucky. "Hey. You've been busy today." I laughed a little at his cheeky grin, looking very proud of himself as he nodded. "It's our first Christmas together, I wanted everything to be perfect."

I grinned and pulled him closer. "It is perfect, babe. Just like you." I kissed him again, deeper this time as he wrapped his arms around me.

I was already excited for our first Christmas holiday as newly weds, but coming home to this made it even better. I couldn't imagine my life without Wally and now I couldn't imagine spending the holidays any other way.