Chapter 1

It was the last day of school and the last lesson of the day. Shannon Maxwell sat in class but her concentration was waning by the second. The teacher droned on about a school project for the next year but Shannon didn't care. All she could think about was the summer holidays. A smile played at her lips as she thought about the fun she would have.

She would be spending all her time with her two best friends, Brian Thompson and Nathan Jones. They had all grown up together and they were so close they could finish off each other's sentences and knew exactly what the others were thinking. It was a rare bond many people wished for but never had. People at school were often jealous of the three of them. It seemed that regardless of what hurdles came at them, they just jumped over them and kept running. Nothing could weaken the bond they shared.

Every moment they were able to spend together they would. Hell, if they could live in the same house they would! Since they had their own families it was impossible, however it never stopped them from having regular sleep over’s.

With Brian at 17, he was like the big brother of the other two who were only 15. Yet the age difference didn't bother any of them. If anything it was a comfort to have an older and more mature member of their little group.

The teacher stopped talking about the project and went on to talk about a mini assignment she wanted the students to work on over the holidays. The students had to think of their closest friend and write an essay on how they met.

Shannon stuck up her hand.

The teacher nodded in Shannon's direction. "Yes, Shannon?"

"Can it be two friends?"

She raised her eyebrows in surprise then said, "I don't know anyone who has two friends that are that close."

Shannon couldn't stop the way her body tensed. It was a defence mechanism of hers which only ever happened when someone doubted the friendship she shared with her two friends. "I do, Miss. I don't want to have to choose between them."

The class murmured behind her and Shannon felt a sense of pride. The teacher even looked shocked but finally she just smiled and said, "Well then that's fine, Shannon. But don't go over the word count."

"Thank you, Miss."

As the teacher continued talking, Shannon got to thinking about the assignment. It would be an easy one for her to do.

She thought back to when she first met Nathan. It was her first day of kindergarten and her mother had just left, leaving her alone. She felt scared and was on the verge of tears. Determined not to cry though, she stuck out her bottom lip and stood up straight.

When someone tapped her on the shoulder, she spun around only to come face to face with a boy her age. He was as skinny as a rake and had a mop of blonde hair that covered his eyes. He moved his hair out eyes and grinned at her a toothy grin.

"Who are you?" Shannon asked.

"I'm Nathan. Who are you?"

"Shannon."

"Your hair is red."

"Don't be mean."

"I'm not, I like red hair. I think my Mummy had red hair."

"You're silly. You should know what colour hair your Mummy has."

Nathan stuck out his lower lip. "I've only seen a picture. My Mummy is dead and so is my Daddy."

"Oh."

"I live with my Granny."

"I'm sorry."