Chapter 9

Justin stopped and took in the scene in front of him. Shannon looked angry and Brian looked exasperated. It didn’t take a genius to realise their so-called relationship hadn’t started off well.

“Is everything okay?” Justin asked tentatively. “I heard you two - uh - having words.”

Shannon looked at Brian with raised eyebrows as if to say ‘what do you plan to do now?’

Glancing at Justin he forced a smile and extended his hand. “I’m Brian, Shannon’s -”

“Boyfriend. Yes I know, she told me all about you.”

Brian looked at Shannon in exasperation. She smiled smugly. Whether he liked it or not he had to play along with it.

“Yes.” Brian said uncertainly.

“Only a month and you’re already arguing?”

Justin looked appalled and Shannon had to look away in order to stifle her giggle.

“It’s nothing, just a little disagreement.”

“You know what they say Brian, if the arguments start early it doesn’t get any better after marriage. By the way, I’m Justin Brook, the new neighbour.”

Brian shook Justin’s extended hand. “Well like I said Justin, it’s only been a month so we haven’t even discussed marriage. And well I can’t see myself married to her anyway.”

Brian winked at Shannon and smirked. Feeling her anger rising Shannon knew what he was trying to do. He wanted to humiliate her but she wouldn’t let it happen.

Two could play that game.

“How can you say that Brian?” Justin exclaimed. “And in front of Shannon! That’s really shallow!”

“Yeah, how can you?” Shannon cried for effect. “Didn’t you tell me the other day you couldn’t live without me? Was that just a cruel joke?”

Brian spun around, his eyes dark with anger. He shook his head to tell Shannon to stop but she just smiled slightly and hung her head.

Justin placed his arm around her shoulders. “Are you okay?”

Shannon nodded sadly. “I might just sit outside for a few minutes and clear my head.”

Justin nodded in understanding and lead Brian back into the house. Shannon sat outside on the step and as soon as the door closed she broke out into a grin and congratulated herself on pulling off a successful act. Brian would have no choice but to play along with it.

A few moments later the door opened then closed again and Shannon removed her smile and tried to look as mournful as possible. Noticing it was only Brian though she perked up immediately. He didn’t look at all happy.

“What the hell do you think you’re doing?” Brian whispered.

“How else could I get you to go along with it?”

“Shannon you made me look like a complete fool! Now Justin thinks I’m the big bad wolf all because of you!”

“Well you started it!”

“I did not!”

“Oh yes you did. You’re the one who said you couldn’t imagine being married to me. It all flowed on from there.”

Brian opened his mouth to say something then closed it again as he realised she was right. “Well so what if I did? You could have gone along with it.”

“And made me look like the idiot?”

“Have a taste of your own medicine, Shannon.”

Shannon started to retaliate when Amy, Nathan and Cara came running out of the house. It was obvious Justin had filled them in on the situation.