Chapter 20

As the night drew to a close, Nathan wondered why Shannon had bothered asking him for help. After telling her what he felt had to be done, he began getting glazed looks from her. It was a sure indication that all discussion on the topic was over. In the end he gave up talking about it. Yes he understood that she felt nervous about the confrontation but she wanted the help from him then she refused to talk about it. He wanted everything out in the open but he wasn’t sure if it would happen. Shannon wanted it too but she had become paralysed with fear.

All Nathan wanted was the knowledge that both of them would make an effort to talk. He had his doubts about that though so he could only hope. If Shannon overcame her fear and Brian stopped being stupid, they could do it. That was the problem though. Could they do it?

At one point he was close to going back on his word. He almost told Brian everything about Shannon’s visit. He even got to the point of picking up his phone and started dialling his number. He didn’t do it. It wasn’t his place to do so. His reasoning at the time was that if Brian knew then perhaps he wouldn’t be so hard on her. Something told him it wouldn’t work though. In fact Brian would go into hiding, cancel the photography services for the party and move it elsewhere.

He couldn’t help shaking his head in dismay. Those two were so blind! They were living miserable lives because they loved each other. Where was the sense in that?

Nathan was no expert with women; after all he hadn’t had a girlfriend in years. But he had chosen to do that because he enjoyed being single. What he did know was that if you fancied someone who fancied you back, you had to take the risk. He couldn’t say that to either of them though, for two reasons. One: he wasn’t about to do the dirty work for them, they had to work it out themselves. Two: even if he ignored number one, they would just tell him to mind his own business because he had no experience. See? There was no point.

Deciding it was time to leave, Nathan embraced Shannon in a friendly hug. “Please think about what to say to Brian, okay? You need to have something prepared.”

Oh okay so it was true, he wasn’t able to let it drop. But they were his friends and he just couldn’t let Shannon leave without giving it one last attempt. If he didn’t he knew what would happen and what may still happen anyway. They would see each other, say a brief and awkward hello and then forget all about it. Shannon would be miserable forever and Brian would be in a loveless marriage. Great, wouldn’t that be such a wonderful ending? If Nathan could help either of them at all - discreetly of course - then he would.

They pulled away and Shannon started at him with wide eyes. “Please Nathan, I can’t think about that now.”

“What is it with you, Shannon? You asked me over here to make a plan and now you’re pushing me away! What’s going to happen when you come face to face with him at the party?”

She shrugged. “I didn’t realise it would be so difficult. I wanted your help and I appreciate that you tried but I realise now I’m just not ready. The truth is no matter how prepared I am; when I see him I’m just going to go blank anyway. I think I’ll just lay low at the party and try and talk to him later. I don’t really want to spoil the moment for him.”

Nathan started to protest but soon realised she was right. “Just promise me you will try and talk to him.”

Shannon crossed her fingers behind her back. “I promise I’ll try.”

They embraced one last time and Nathan left to go home.

Amy tentatively stood in the background and considered the goings on around her. There was little she could do to help but she hoped she could help Shannon to understand the need to see Brian. She had an inkling Brian still felt the same toward her but she couldn’t prove it. She did see the expression of frustration on Nathan’s face at times though. It was as though he knew something no one else did. She could use that to her advantage.