Chapter 3

For the next few weeks Brian, Nathan and Shannon were inseparable. Brian had finally gotten over his moment of insanity and he felt back to normal again. The three friends were always either at the beach, the pool, the movies, the park or each other’s houses. Either way they were always together. Regardless of Nathan’s resolve to study during the holidays, he didn’t. The three friends never could get enough of each other.

When there was just over a month of holidays left, Brian suggested a weekend camping trip. Nathan and Shannon were both instantly in agreement. The plans were made and they just needed the approval from their respective families.

Brian had already gained permission from his parents. In fact he barely needed it as they were away again but he still got their permission regardless. Next they called around to Nathan’s place to get permission from his Grandmother. When they told her about the trip she just grunted, smiled and patted him on the head. She never was much of a talker.

Their final stop was Shannon’s place. It was the weekend so both parents were home. As soon as they walked inside Shannon called for them.

“What’s up?” Julie asked looking at the three.

“I know that look.” John said with a smile. “There’s a question coming.”

Brian shrugged then smiled and said, “Nate and I are going camping next weekend. We were hoping you would let Shannon come.”

Shannon shrieked from excitement and ran up to her parents. “Please can I go? Please, please, please?” She started jumping up and down from excitement. “I’ll do anything!”

Julie and John exchanged amused glances. John just shrugged then finally Julie smiled and said, “Of course you can go.” Shannon shrieked again but Julie held her hand up to silence her. “On one condition.”

Shannon’s green eyes gleamed from excitement. “Anything!”

“All your chores have to be done before you go.” Shannon started nodding like a bobble head in a car but Julie held her hand up again. “And when you get home you cook dinner.”

She embraced her mother. “Yes, yes I’ll do it!” She ran up to Brian and leaped into his arms. “We’re going camping!”

The weekend was a week away but they still took immediate action. All three friends went back to their own places to start preparing. Since Brian had the car, he agreed to organise all the camping gear. Shannon and Nathan on the other hand were in charge of food and other essentials.

The week passed by quickly then on Friday afternoon, Brian arrived at Shannon’s place with Nathan. The car was nearly full to the brim as it was without Shannon’s things. As soon as she saw that she groaned and immediately started unpacking the car.

“Hey, why are you doing that?” Brian asked as he started putting things back in the car again.

“You men have no idea how to pack a car. Will you stop putting things back in? Let me repack and I can guarantee you we’ll have more space.”

Brian and Nathan rolled their eyes but stepped away. As Shannon repacked the car, they brought her things out and she loaded them accordingly. Ten minutes later the car was packed and Shannon stepped away with a satisfied smile on her face. Gone was a car bursting at the seams and in its place some sort of order. There was ample seating space and enough room for any last minute things they needed to pack.

“See?” Shannon remarked with a smug smile. “It just needed a woman’s touch.”

Brian came up behind her and tickled her in the ribs. “Don’t get a big head; I don’t want to put up with your constant bragging all weekend.”