Chapter 2

"Bye mum."

"Goodbye. Get good grades," Mrs. Baem replied to her youngest daughter. Irene boarded the train first, having already spotted her friends, Jade assumed.

"Bye," Jade said halfheartedly.

Her mother gripped her shoulders and smiled widely. "Have fun, okay? I know you always do. And help Slytherin get the House cup this year! Damn Gryffindors have been getting too much special treatment lately."

Jade sighed inwardly. "Right. I'll write you," she added vaguely.

"Bye! Love you!"

"Love you," Jade mumbled as she stepped up onto the train. She walked briskly down the narrow isles looking for an empty compartment before she almost cursed. I have to go meet with the other Prefects, she remembered.

With a groan, Jade dragged her suitcase behind her to the very back of the train. At the Prefect's compartment, she knocked reluctantly. The door slid open quickly and a girl with curly brown hair stood looking down at her. She already had her robes on, her shiny Prefect's badge stuck neatly overtop of the Gryffindor colors. "Hello," she said kindly. "You're a new Prefect, right? Come on in."

Jade smiled slightly before she stepped forward into the small space. The girl sat down next to a redhaired boy, and suddenly Jade recognized them. Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley - they were pretty famous for being the Chosen One's best friends. The two Hufflepuffs and Ravenclaws introduced themselves, but Jade didn't remember the names. "I'm Jade Baem," she said quietly. "Slytherin."

Hermione Granger lifted a brow ever so slightly - as if she was surprised. Jade laughed to herself; of course she wasn't Slytherin material. Whether that was a good or bad thing, she wasn't sure yet. "So we're missing the other Slytherin," Hermione said. "Where is he?"

Before she could finish her sentence, the door flew open, and a tall, dark figure leaned against the frame. "Right here, Granger. Not surprised to see you here - but the same can't be said for Weaselby there."

Ron turned a nasty shade of purple - Jade couldn't help but notice that it clashed with his hair. "Malfoy - you - Prefect -"

"Now, now, don't try to think too hard," Draco sneered.

Hermione sighed. "Please just sit down, Malfoy."

Draco ignored her, his eyes finally meeting Jade. "Hey - you."

"My name isn't you," Jade instantly snapped.

She saw the corners of Draco's lips twitch ever so slightly. "I know, Jade. Fancy seeing you here."

"Sit down."

"Sure," he replied, as if by invitation, and plopped down on the seat next to her.

Hermione became the natural leader, with some inputs from the Ravenclaws and Hufflepuffs. Draco lounged carelessly next to her, adding sighs and snorts where he saw fit. Ron Weasley split his time between listening to Hermione and glaring at Draco. "Does this sound good to everyone?" Hermione asked. "We can work together to do our jobs."

Jade smiled tentatively. "Yeah."

Hermione gave her a surprised smile back - and Draco shot her an annoyed glance. Jade pretended she didn't see and focused on the knock that came on the compartment door. Hermione slid it open, revealing a pretty girl with fair skin and brown hair and eyes. And behind her...stood Harry Potter. Jade blinked, feeling her heart rate escalate. She found her eyes trailing over his ruffled black hair and piercing green eyes. She had never seen him this close before, even in their classes.