Chapter 16

"What's going on?" Jade complained, her wrist hurting slightly from Draco's grip.

"Just, trust me, J. You're gonna be overjoyed!"

Jade's eyebrows furrowed but she kept up the quick pace to stay with Draco. He led her to Umbridge's office, and threw open the door. "We're here, Professor!"

"Just in time, Draco."

Jade's blood ran cold when she stepped into the pink-adorned room. The members of the Inquisitorial Squad stood in a circle, and when they parted for the duo, she had to suppress a gasp. Cho stood before them, boils covering her face in the shape of the word Sneak. She was hiding her face in her robes, a silent flow of tears from her eyes.

Draco turned to her briefly, grinning, before focusing his attention on Umbridge. "Did she talk, Professor?"

Umbridge's toad-like face was split into an eery smile. "Of course. Time to go get Potter and his followers."

***

Jade didn't know what she was supposed to do. Her role in the Inquisitorial Squad was to prevent this exact situation. All she could do was stand paralyzed as the Slytherin students, Umbridge, and Filch lined up outside of the Room of Requirement and lifted their wands. "Get ready," Umbridge said, licking her lips in anticipation. "They'll be coming soon."

Jade wished it never would. But as if Umbridge's words had willed it, the black door appeared on the wall, opening up and spilling out students. She saw all of her friends, dozens dashing for an exit but running into the trap. She saw some slip through, but also some get knocked down. Her eyes scanned the horrible sight viciously for any sign of Harry, Ron, Hermione, or Emma. And..."Sica," she breathed, her voice trembling. She had forgotten Jessica decided to go to the meeting without her.

She couldn't bear to watch Pansy Parkinson shove her best friend to the ground and grab hold of her hands. Her eyes desperately fled from the sight, and happened to read on a familiar lanky body darting from the door behind the others. In the chaos, it seemed as though he could slip away...

And then he turned around. His eyes met Jade's. "J!" he called out.

A bloodcurdling scream bubbled in her chest but was never released as she looked in horror at Harry running back for her. Go back, you moron! she wanted to yell. But her voice was trapped somewhere inside her confused mind. He almost reached her before long black strands whipped out and coiled around his legs.

Harry fell to the stone floor, Draco standing over him with the most demonic smirk Jade had ever seen him muster. "Professor," he called, not taking his eyes off his prey, "I got Potter."

Jade bit back a cry as Umbridge's pudgy hands greedily swiped Harry up from the floor. "Good job, Draco!"

She didn't know where to look - at Umbridge pulling a resistant Harry or Pansy lifting Jessica and two small Hufflepuff girls or Crabbe snatching Hermione's robes --

"Baem!" Jade blinked, her eyes once again seeing a grinning Malfoy. "I think I just saw a weasel."

In her foggy state, Jade didn't understand as Draco took off down the corridor. When her mind caught up, her legs were already rushing her after him. She was panicking - it was Ron and Emma, she knew, and this would make every one of her friends captured. What was going to happen to them?

She stopped, panting, behind Draco. She stood in the shadows, hand over her mouth as she saw Ron and Emma tied and collapsed on the ground. "...my wand," Emma was saying. "I'll kill you with my bare hands."

"Someone's brave," Draco laughed. "We'll just see what happens to Mudbloods and blood traitors like you two in a year."

"If you think marrying a pure blood will keep you safe, think again," Draco continued tormenting Emma. "Besides, Weasley doesn't count- his family's a joke." Draco laughed. "I think I'll stick with a respectable family, like my neighbor, here."