Chapter 4

Jade walked through the empty halls alone, patrolling the corridors. As a prefect she had to make sure everyone was back in their dorms this late at night. Ginger was trailing behind her, tired but wanting to stay next to her owner. She was also sure Malfoy had ignored his duties and gone to bed early. As she paced in annoyance, she saw a shadow creep from behind the walls. She narrowed her eyes, lifting her wand into the dimly lit pathway with a whisper of, "Lumos!"

The light omitted from the end of her wand just barely lit up the face of the shadow at the end of the hall. She gasped in fright for a second, before she recognized Ron Weasley. He jumped out of his skin at the sight of her, letting out a small yelp. "Bloody Hell!" he exclaimed. He looked her over with a hand over his heart. "What are you doing out here this late?"

"I could ask you the same thing!" she replied with a pout.

"I'm a prefect."

"So am I. I'm on patrol - what are you doing so far away from Gryffindor Tower this late?" As she questioned him, Jade fully took in his appearance. He was soaked - dripping water all over the stone floor. A broom was in his hand, and he wore simple, sweat clothes.

Jade was about to comment when a voice rang out from behind her. "Ron?" She yelped and jumped close to the wall. Her face became flaming hot as she saw Harry Potter walking up to them. He smiled at her apologetically. "Sorry. Didn't mean to scare you."

Jade peeled herself from the wall. "What? I wasn't scared."

Ron snorted beside her. "What are you doing here?" Harry asked him.

Ron tried to hide the broom behind his back, but it didn't exactly work out. "Nothing."

"Were you playing Quidditch?" Harry continued. "Why so late?"

"Oh!" Jade realized. "You're trying out for the team, aren't you?"

Red crept into Ron's face. "Maybe," he mumbled.

Harry looked confused. "Why didn't you tell me?"

Ron looked at the ground. "I thought you'd laugh at me."

"Why would I do that?"

"Don't know," Ron mumbled. "I'm so nervous. Ugh!" He slapped his cheek. "And Emma's going to be there!"

"So what?" Harry questioned curiously. If it were possible for Ronald to turn a darker red, he did.

Jade unintentionally saved Ron from answering when she noticed Harry's hand. "What happened?" she cried, subconsciously reaching out and grabbing it. Her thumb rubbed over the painful-looking cuts in the skin, and she looked in horror as they spelled out, I must not tell lies. "What did she do to you?" she breathed.

Harry tugged his hand away from her, and she blushed hard - they didn't know each other very well, after all. "Nothing."

"That's not nothing!" Ron argued, trying to get a good look at the hand and completely forgetting his Quidditch struggles. "You've got to tell someone, mate."

"No," Harry refused immediately. "I won't give her the satisfaction."

Jade frowned. "Satisfaction? That's insane. Tell Professor McGonagall, she won't stand for that!"

"Who are you again?" Harry asked shortly.

Jade felt embarrassed inside, but she didn't let it show. With a glare and curl of her lip, she snapped, "Jade Baem. Do what you want - see if I care. Just get back to your dorm. I'm the Prefect patrolling over here, and even if Mr. Weasley is also a Prefect, you aren't, Potter. Besides - I'm not afraid to report the both of you. Or take away points."