Chapter 17

Jade shifted uncomfortably when Draco's eyes wandered to her for the first time since they had gotten to potions. She had been expecting insults and coldness, but had instead been greeted by the silent treatment. She didn't know whether she was relieved or disappointed. She looked through her peripheral vision to try and get a sense of what he was thinking - but his face was a mask. It always seemed to be around her, these days.

"Do you feel bad?" he suddenly said, under his breath.

She looked up. "What?"

His eyes were narrowed, lips pressed in a grimace. "Do you feel bad about what you did? About how you used me and lied to your Housemates and went against the Ministry?"

Jade stopped to actually think about it for the first time. "No," she said finally. For the first time, emotion crossed Draco's face - disbelief. "Look, I'm sorry I had to use you like that. It wasn't personal - I just had to stay in the Inquisitorial Squad. But I don't feel bad, or regret it. I'd do it again. Because I was protecting my friends."

She heard his slight laugh as she looked away. "I finally understand."

"Understand what?" she asked warily.
"Why you're a Slytherin."

When potions was over, Jade rushed to meet Harry in the corridor. "Harry! Wait!" He slowed down, but his gaze didn't really meet hers. "Please, we haven't had a chance to talk. About...what I did." She bit her lip, frustrated and terrified. Was she going to lose Harry because of what she did to protect him?

"J..." he turned. "I'm not mad about what you did. In fact - it was brilliant. I just...I'm not sure how I feel about it."

Jade was confused. "What does that mean?"

Harry sighed. "You played with Draco. You didn't tell us you were doing it. And now - do you even feel bad?"

"Why would I? And I didn't tell you because I didn't think it was important! You already had enough to worry about."

"I just don't know how I feel about your indifference to this. Malfoy is despicable - but you toyed with his emotions and you don't feel the slightest bit bad for him. Even I do."

Jade felt her throat stinging. "It's because I'm a Slytherin."

"What?"

"It's because I'm a Slytherin, right?" she repeated loudly.

Harry stepped back. "What are you talking about?"

"Everyone in Slytherin is there for a reason, Harry - you all didn't know how I could possibly be one. I guess you just got your answer."

"Jade, wait!" Harry's hand reached out and grabbed her arm. "I didn't mean it like that."

"Then what did you mean?" Jade whispered, biting her lip as tears threatened to surface.

"Look, I don't know how I feel about what you did - but I do know how I feel about you. Maybe you have a troubling side I haven't seen before, but I still believe you're that shy, dorky kid I fell for. You just...need someone to help you remember your, er, morals."

Jade laughed. "Are you that someone?"

"I can be." Harry intertwined his fingers with hers.

"You guys are finally back to normal?" Jessica came out of the classroom, followed by Emma, Ron, and then Hermione.

"It's about time," Emma laughed.

"As heartwarming as this is, I think I see a group of troublemakers ready to lose points for their houses." Draco stalked out of the dungeon room, smirk placed firmly.