Chapter 14

Jade pulled her green cardigan on and modeled the outfit - the cardigan being accompanied by a black skirt and stockings - for Jessica. "Is it good enough?"

Jessica tilted her head to the side cutely as she scrutinized her friend. "Its cute." She got up and rumaged through her drawer, digging out a deep red sweater. "But I think this is better. Show him you're cheering on Gryffindor!" She held the sweater out.

Jade took it and changed quickly. "Thanks, Sica. You're a genious."

"I know."

Jade turned back to the mirror and pulled at her hair, letting the black strands fall into elegant waves. Harry had asked her to accompany him to the Gryffindor versus Hufflepuff Quidditch match, and Jade had been overjoyed. She still had trouble believing she was now dating Harry Potter, her crush of three years as well as the famous "Boy Who Lived". She was so happy that she was letting herself forget all of her worries for at least the day - like Umbridge, Harry's disturbing visions of Voldemort, and her positions in Dumbledore's Army and the Inquisitorial Squad. Not to mention a troublesome thought Emma had brought to her attention - why was it that she could see the thestrals? She was sure she'd never seen anyone die...

Jade skipped out of the dungeons, humming and so content that she ran smack into Harry. "Oops," she laughed. "Sorry."

Harry brushed a hand across her face, and Jade swore her heart stopped beating. "I live for that smile." He held her hand in his and they walked down to the stadium together.

Jade had never been on the Gryffindor side, yet she felt more comfortable here with friends. Jessica had stayed back at the dorm, but Hermione and Emma joined the couple. "How was Ron?" Harry asked.

Emma bit her lip, looking worried. "He was freaking himself out again. I tried to get him to calm down but he wouldn't listen to me." Harry sighed on concern and his hand tightened around Jade's. She squeezed back in reassurance, and she felt his arm insrinctively wrap around her waist.

The game didn't go very well, and soon any romantic feeling had dissipated as Harry cringed and groaned at the beating of his former team. Emma was also struggling, as Ron was on his fourteenth miss. Zacharias Smith scored past their red haired friend and sent a wink in her general direction, to which Emma just scoffed. Ginny saved them from utter humiliation; she caught the snitch and Gryffindor only lost by ten points.

Jade didn't know what to say as she walked with Harry off of the Quidditch pitch. She had never been one for sports and had the immediate reaction to say it was just a game. But she knew it was very important to Harry, and he would be offended by the comment. So instead she just kept quiet as they made their way to the team's changing area. Ron came out, dismal and trying not meet anyone's gaze. Emma didn't accept this clear need for solitude - she ran up to him, grabbing her best friend's hand tightly. "It was just one game, okay? It wasn't that bad."

Ron glanced at her warily, but didn't have time to spill his surely self-downgrading response as Zacharias Smith interrupted. "Nice game, Weasley," he said, snorting as he seemingly forced out the words. "So, Emma, did you see -"

Emma pointedly turned her back on him and slipped her arm through Ron's. "Let's go."

Jade almost laughed at the look on Zacharias's face - and the same could be said for Ron. Harry began to follow, and he hooked his arm around Jade's neck as he did so.

--

After a day spent with Harry, Ron, Emma, and Hermione, Jade rushed to the dungeons in excitement. She couldn't wait to tell Jessica all about it. "Sica!" she sing-songed, floating into the common room. She stopped when she saw a familiar blonde head facing her, his grey eyes colder than usual.