21. Decisions and A Life-Long Promise

"Y/n?"

You cringed at the disbelief that was clear in his voice.

"Yeah?" You asked, still looking down at your feet. You stood on the deck that would take you onto his houseboat, for the very last time.

"What are you doing here?" He stepped towards you, too quickly, making you take a step backwards.

You looked up at him, suddenly at a loss for words.

"I'm-"

"I'm so sorry Y/n, for everything. I mean it." He was stepping closer to you again, misreading your intentions for being there. You put your hand up as if you were shielding yourself and it immediately was pressed against his chest.

He was getting too close.

"I'm..." You took in a deep breath before allowing your eyes to meet his for the first time in a month. "I'm just here too finish the song."

His eyes saddened immediately. "The...song." The words barely escaped his lips.

You nodded, firmly. "The song."

He took two steps back and gripped his hair as he stared out into the water, steadying his breathing. Weeks ago, seeing him getting worked up at your stance would have infuriated you. Not this time, now you were making progress.

One step closer to healing, every day.

"Let's go finish it." He glanced back over at you and smiled ever so softly, knowing he was letting go of the last piece of you he had.

You nodded and followed him to his room, clutching tightly to your purse. As you entered, Juleka looked up at you with a mixture of nerves and hopefulness laced in her expression.

You simply waved.

As you arrived in his bedroom, everything was set up the exact same from the last time you were there. You walked over to the stool he had set up for you behind his keyboard, but stopped once you noticed the slight difference among his bedroom.

Near his door, where his picture with his father hung proud, was another picture right next to it. You felt your brows furrow as the picture of the two of you laughing together at his birthday party stared back at you.

Luka hadn't noticed you inspecting the image as he was unzipping his guitar case with his back turned to you.

You gulped, shaking your head, as you walked over to sit behind the keyboard.

You didn't even remember that picture being taken.

Your heart was pounding against your chest but you tried your hardest to calm your breathing. His eyes met yours and you felt your entire body stiffen.

"Just two more lines."

"Three more chords." You whispered.

Luka's brows furrowed. "You sure about that?"

"Positive." You responded simply as you pointed at your note sheet in front of you.

He frowned. "I thought we had more time." He whispered.

Your hesitation revealed itself in a slight gasp. "Luka." Your voice was a warning and he nodded, recognizing his mistake instantly.

The session finished quicker than ever. You couldn't help but wonder if it was because the two of you finally experienced the true heartbreak you thought you had when you began writing the song.

You just wished you weren't the ones to break each other.

You stood and folded your notebook and slipped it into your bag. "Thank you, for agreeing to finish it." You smiled softly as you began walking to his door to leave for the last time.