26. Aching and Reunion

"Honey—what do you mean you don't want to go to school? You were so excited to sign up yesterday!" You took another, long, sip of your black coffee.

"I never said that." Dakota crossed his arms and squinted his eyes as he made a 'humph' sound.

It was way to early for the bratty attitude.

"Dakota dear." You forced a smile, knowing he was just tired. "You have to go to school—I legally have to send you." You walked over to him and pushed the eggs you scrambled closer to him. "Now eat."

You began to saunter towards the couch when he spoke up again. "Mom what does legal mean?" He asked and you sighed in relief when you saw he was shoveling the scrambled eggs into his small mouth.

"Why do you ask?" You questioned as you sat on the couch, pulling a large blanket over you.

"I've heard a bunch of people use that word talking about daddy. It's a weird one." His words were a bit muffled but you still understood each one.

"Well-"

"Good morning my favorite grandson!" Your mother entered the room, almost perfectly timed.

Again, you were sighing in relief as you slumped further into the couch.

The two of them were over by the counter whispering about you, but you couldn't care less. You did however begin to smile when you heard your son's infectious giggle.

You downed the rest of your coffee and shook out your arms as you walked back over to your son and mother.

After kissing her on the cheek, you turned towards your boy and titled your head to the side. "Ready to go little man?" You asked.

With a renewed confidence, Dakota nodded wildly before running off to grab his new race car print shoes.

**

"Its July—how can it be to late to register a five year old?" You groaned as your hands made their way under your large black sunglasses and you rubbed your eyes roughly.

"I'm sorry ma'am it's just—hold on." You perked back up as the front desk lady began to inspect your face. Your entire body stiffened as she pieced together who you were.

"Are you really Y/n Cheng?" She questioned excitedly, forgetting part of your name.

You laughed slightly. "Last I checked that's part of the name on my license."

She didn't even mind your snarky comment. "My daughter and I love you! Could I get a signature?" Her eyes were so bright and you wanted too say yes immediately.

"Could you get my kid enrolled in school?" Your expression was smug and her mouth hung agape.

"Touché."

"Have to use that celebrity privilege somewhere am I right?" You grinned, sunglasses now resting on your head.

She nodded. "As long as you don't tell anyone." She put a finger to her lips and you nodded knowingly.

"Oh I understand—I can keep a secret."

She began typing Dakota's information into the computer. "I had no idea you had children—I wonder if my daughter does, she loves to Instagram search you for outfit inspiration." She chuckled as she waved her hand and you tried to ignore the low key creepiness of it.

"She doesn't—we—I have tried my hardest to keep him private." You glanced over your shoulder at the happy boy playing with a Barbie and a race car. "If you wouldn't mind doing the same I would greatly appreciate it. You know how fans can get about celebrity children."