33. The Past and The Future

The knock on the door was quite light, like he knew that he wasn't welcome but he came anyways.

You were hesitant as you walked over to your door and saw Adrien standing outside of it.

With a sigh you opened the door to the man with puffy red eyes.

"You're going to come here looking like that?" You asked with a weak smile. "We haven't even started fighting yet."

He frowned. "Y/n—please."

You turned and walked inside, leaving the door just barely open as you braced yourself for what was about to happen.

"You know I never meant any of that. All I can think about it making things better and mending our family. We should be together." He whispered, knowing Dakota was asleep in the other room.

"Adrien."

"I'm serious Y/n-"

"Adrien. Besides the fact that you called me greedy and selfish—" he winced. "You turned me away the entire time you were in jail. How do you think that made me feel and Dakota?"

He shook his head. "I won't apologize for that. Keeping you away was the only way to keep you safe."

Safe. You thought back to the two threatening letters you had received.

You simply shook your head. "And look how it turned out anyways."

"Because you came anyway!" He snapped though his voice remained hushed. "I asked you to stay away and just let me handle it but you didn't. Now everybody knows."

You nodded knowingly. "Yeah just keep blaming me for everything thanks." You shook your head. "Wanna talk about the fact that you just up and turned yourself in when you were innocent all along and left me alone to raise our son?"

"Y/n, you knew that was the only way." He insisted.

"Sure! But couldn't you just use your daddy's money to buy you out just like everything else?"

"They actually sold all of his shares—"

"Not the point Adrien!" You hissed. "You could have found another way! You could have had me come with you, you could have told them your secret identity-"

"My secret identity?" He asked, baffled. "There's no way in hell I could do that, you and Dakota would be in danger and-"

"We're already in danger!" You snapped.

"What?" He asked, not following.

"Your cousin! He found my number and has been sending me threatening, taunting voice mails. Then there's the fucking letters taped to the door! Dakota isn't even here right now because it's not safe for him." You screamed.

His eyes were wide and his entire body stiffened. "N-No that's not right." He stammered. "He agreed to stay away from you—he promised!"

"Since when has Felix ever kept his promises?" You spat.

"Y/n! I'm telling you I refused to tell him anything! I don't know how he knew." He was shaking profusely.

"He has to much on us." You sighed, rubbing your temples harshly. "He will always be one step ahead."

Adrien stepped closer, allowing his heart to control every movement as he was upon you. His hands cupped the sides of your face and his thumbs stroked your cheek lovingly as tears were streaming down his face.

You flinched. "Adrien-"

"I'm sorry Y/n." He shook his head as he placed his forehead on your own. "I'm so sorry for everything. All the things I said and all of the things I did, and not being able to protect you two. I'm sorry."