Chapter Five - Birthday Celbrations

-Breanne-

Organising, council meetings, public engagements. That was my life for the next few months. My birthday was approaching and I was being presented with names of 'suitors'. Fittings for the 'dress of the year' almost distracted me from the fact that my brother was under house arrest and that after our birthday, we would have to address the elephant in the room.

Evie had now outright refused to do anything for me, while her best friend was imprisoned. Jay hadn't spoken to me and Carlos was quiet, while he was ambassador to Scotland. The official Dress maker was giving me my final dress fitting. I stared at the woman in the mirror and though she had my face, my build and clothing. I didn't recognise her. Despite Granny and Dad helping me establish myself as Queen and being there when I needed them. I felt like a stranger in my own home and life.

"You look beautiful." my bubble of my own mind was burst as I heard Harry. He came into my line of sight, via the mirror. I gave him a soft smile.

"Will you give us a moment." Caroline, nodded and left. Harry rested his hands on my shoulders. I rested my hands on his and relaxed. The two of us didn't speak. I didn't feel like we need to. I closed my eyes taking in the presence of him. We stood there for what felt like forever but I didn't care.

------

I was in no mood for a birthday party, not this one and not with everything going on. Even so, the doors opened to the ballroom and I glided in, people bowed and curtsied.

"Thank you everyone, for attending my birthday celebrations. I'm not one for speeches unless I have to so please enjoy yourselves." everyone clapped their hands and broke into their own conversations. Uma and Gil joined Harry and Audrey.

"Happy Birthday, Sassanach." Harry gave me a wink making me chuckle. Audrey slapped his shoulder catching the small gesture.

"Thank you."

"Happy Birthday, Bree." Uma smiles, and turns her attention to Gil who is enjoying watermelon to notice we've started the conversation. All of us look at him and he the releases that we're all staring.

"Oh yeah, Happy Birthday. Do you have anymore of this melon of water?" Uma shakes her head

"Yes, over there." Gil nodded and ran over to the buffet table. I laugh in amusement. I go to start a conversation with Uma when Alfred interrupts us

"Your Majesty. May I present Prince Hamish of DunBroch brother to her Majesty Queen Merida." I took a deep breath and turned with my most relaxed smile. There was a man just older than myself with fiery red hair munching on a slice of chicken. Alfred looked back.

"Your Highness." he muttered. Hamish threw the chicken bone backwards and held out the hand with sloppy meat juices still coating his fingers. I glanced back at my friends who looked disgusted. Looking back Alfred handed him a handkerchief and Hamish whipped his hands then I took his hand. Unfortunately for me Hamish hadn't wiped his lips. i resisted to recoil and gag.

"Pleasure your majesty." His thick accent rang clear and that right now was is only chasing thing about him. Granted it had nothing on Harry's accent, but it was close."

"Prince Hamish." I greeted.

"Let's dance." I was pulled out onto the dance floor with a small grunt and pulled into his arms.

-3rd Person-

Merida watched from a distance with her mother who was all in attendance. Both analysed from a distance.

"Haven's be. He's eating on their first encounter." Queen Elinor gasped in shock then as the chicken leg came flying in their direction.

"Are you sure you didn't leave him to the wolves while he was growing up, mother." Merida commented wincing at the sense before them.

"Not funny, Merida." Elinor scowled

"What? It's true, oh no." Merida observed the kiss of the hand and Breanne's reaction "Oh that is disgusting, why did I put him forward." Then as the two went out onto the dance floor

"Well I don't think I'm to early in saying he is a failure." Merida added

"It's early. He could..." Merida gave her mother a look and Elinor sighed defeated.

Prince Aki of Agrabah, Chad Charming, Prince Naveen Jr were just a few of the potentials to dance with Breanne in hopes of a good first impression and a second meeting. There were Dukes and Earls from other Kingdoms to step forward. Duke Mathew Nephew to Queen Guinevere cleared his throat behind a tired Breanne. She had barely a moment to speak with anyone she actually knew. She turned and stopped short.

"I hoped to introduce myself I am Matthew Duke of Nemeith." Breanne gave him her hand and he placed a light kiss upon it. "I was hoping to have the next dance." Breanne glanced bak at Audrey who gave an encouraging smile.

"Okay." Matthew escorted her away. From the sidelines Lucas and Xander were watching.

"Uncle Xander, how do you feel about a good old came of Rummy swap?" Lucas smirked at his uncle who laughed coyly.

"I taught you well, who shall our...candidates be?" Xander wondered glancing around him.

"Suitable potential for Harry." Lucas answered and Xander hummed with a twinkle of mischief the pulled out a flask from his breast pocket and handed to his nephew.

"Your cover." Xander wondered. Lucas didn't answer but went to Audrey and asked her to dance. Xander made his way to Harry.

"Harry my lad, I think it might be time for you to dust of those dancing shoes, Breanne taught you and finally join the festivities." Xander suggested, he had caught the sour look of Harry through the evening and thought this would be a decent time to do something.

"No, I'm fine." Harry answered

"My boy, that wasn't a question." Xander whacked Harry's leg with his cane and gave him a small shove onto the dance floor. Harry stood across from Uma and the dance began. Breanne looked like she was quite taken with the young Duke, but that wasn't to last as the two of them dance, Lucas took out the flask his Uncle had given him.

"Lucas, what are you doing?" Audrey questioned

"Saving our girl from a mistake. Obviously." he answered subtly unscrewing the cap and as they dance passed the two dripped it on the floor. Matthew went to twist and then slipped.

"Oh my gosh are you alright?" Breanne gasped in concern

"My ankle." he groaned

"Harry, take your chance...now!" Lucas encouraged and nodded towards the two "Don't be a wuss." They all changed partners and Harry grabbed Bree pulling her aways as Matthew was taken off the floor and a circle created around the splash of rum.

"Harry?"

"I've gotcha." he whispered into her ear as the two continued with that dance