Nightlite

The sound of breathing was the first he noticed, his eyes slightly opened, but too weak was he to react to her face right against his, her eyes closed, but a warm feeling on his lips.

The pain and burn in his chest was overwhelming, its all he felt as the chest compressions shook his body, his heart started to relive and more feeling came.

If he could gasp he would, she came in close again, her eyes closed, and he felt the life giving air from her mouth enter his lungs, bubbling through the water that now occupied them.

He bucked and she flew upright just in time when he hurled the water out coughing, but that sudden fresh dose of oxygen had him go into a rush, and passed out again.

He shook opening his eyes, it was suddenly warm, a lot warmer! He looked to see his room, the bed he lied on, then his gaze came to her, who still stood one side with that blank expression.

"D–uh!?"

He flew up, she was in his room!? He walked back a little but a sneaker had his heels and he tripped.

During a spike of a adrenaline they say time slows, either it was that or he couldn't quite comprehend how fast she was, before he went through the window she had it open and he tumbled out into the balcony roof.

"What the!?" He got himself to a stop inside the soft blanket if snow somehow then looked up, she calmly climbed out with him, still bare foot, and had this strange one piece raggedy dress on.

Now with very little on Quintin could confirm not only is her face pretty, but she had a damn sexy body under that, he subconsciously slapped himself 'Seriously Quintin!? Now!?'

"How well can you keep a secret?" She asked putting one foot forward, she still didn't slip on this snowy roof.

"Uh~ wh, well I'm not sure!? It depends which secret you want me to keep! White lies never killed anyone!"

She took another step and he twitched but that made him go over the roof backwards like a diver.

He wailed falling but a soft frothy heap of snow caught him.

Silvia came to the edge and saw the man shaped hole in the snow, but somewhere inside he huffed and grunted, then from its side he broke out and ran for it.

'Its better to run sometimes' he remembers her saying that time, well he heard her! And this is him running! So many things made him run! He just didn't trust her!

She suddenly landed in front of him but leapt when he slipped, he went on his back and slid underneath her, he saw that weird smile in the slide-by so at first chance he was on his feet and faced her.

A good fifty meters, that's how far he came, but that's not it, how did she manage to leap that far!?

"White lies, never killed anyone?" She asked slowly walking to him "Tell that to the white ice, it may seem thick enough to walk on, but the ice will always lie, and kill you"

'So it wasn't a dream' he thought, but, he looked down, his clothes, new ones, dry, he looked at her smiling face blushed.

"I had to change them for you, or otherwise you really would have died"

"Du–! Ok this is officially freaking me out...!"

Her hand came up and clenched his jacket tightly, Quintin made no attempt to fight her back, she drew him down to her, almost face to face.

"Why do you keep helping me hu... Quintin?"

He swallowed "I, I just don't like it when people pick on someone, that's all!"

"Oh, nothing to do with you having an eye for me?"

"Uh~"

"What's the truth then? I like the way you run, you are fast, a good sprinter"

"I, well, you're a little weird"

"Weird?" She tilted her head and he suddenly found her very cute.

"Just a little, but that's nothing!"

"So, you're not scared of me?"

"Heck no! You just give me, chills that's all"

She let his jacket go slowly and he scanned her again "Aren't, doesn't your feet get sore in this cold?"

"Not really"

"But..." He was cut off by the howls of wolves in the forest, he turned to look, to hear, maybe judge how far they are, not that it worried him now, he wasn't far from his house.

He turned to face Silvia again, but again! She vanished!

He swivelled in circles, how the hell does she do that!?

Quintin thought he had to ask her when he some how finds her again, or, better yet, when she finds him again, he swallowed.

He gave a trot to the house, constantly glancing at the bordering forests for glowing eyes but instead the snowmobile came around the house suddenly surprising him, he recognized the man and the mobile, it was Victor's father.

"Quintin"

"Mister Brent?"

"I came to get Victor, it seems our flight was moved to tomorrow morning early thanks to this storm, they say it will pick up again the evening so we have to leave then"

Quintin frowned "Uh, sir? Didn't Victor come home?"

"No? Should he have?"

"I had an accident and he left to go find help, I thought for sure he would come to you first?" He said to the local search and rescue chief.

"No, he didn't come home, no one saw him"

The howls in the forest made them both look, Quintin felt a knot in his gut, what if they are howling because they caught Victor!?

"Ok son, I'm going to make preparations for a search tomorrow early, its too dangerous to go at night"

"But!?"

"No but's son you know the rules, no searches at night, well end up with more lost souls"

"Y, yes Sir"

Brent turned his snowmobile around and headed back.

Quintin stood watching the forest, he felt sad, his best friend somewhere out there among the wolves... A glint of white caught his eye, a moon was rising, and it gave him hope.

The Alaskan frontier was one of Quintin's favorite places at night, and with that full moon, there was something magical about how it lit up the snow.

Who needs a search party!? That nightlight will guide him! He will find Victor!