Chapter 2

Roseanne awoke from a stream of sunlight shining directly at her as she sat up slowly and tried to block her tired eyes from the blinding rays.

Instinctively, she glanced down at the watch on her wrist and realized it was already past noon. She almost screamed but managed to suppress it, still vaguely aware that she was in a foreign area.

"This is not good. Oh my God. Why did I have to forget to set an alarm?" Roseanne slapped herself on the forehead as she sprung up from the bed at once, rummaging through her small suitcase for something appropriate to wear to school.

Minutes later, she sped out of her room; backpack unzipped, and comb in hand, desperately trying to get her hair into a neat ponytail but to no avail.

"Good morning, Miss Roseanne." The same servant from last night greeted with a bow.

Upon noticing the surprised look on the girl's face, the servant quickly corrected herself, "I mean, Roseanne. My apologies, we are just not used to calling guests by their first names."

"Sure, no problem. Oh anyways, I um, kind of need to move out tonight." Roseanne uttered, finally done with her hair.

"What's wrong? Is it the rent? Is it too much for you?" The attendant asked, slightly concerned.

"No, it's not that. In fact, I really appreciate the good price." The girl replied.

"Does the room not suit you? Do you feel uncomfortable in it?"

"No, it's not that either. You know, I'm kinda running late for class. Do you mind informing Miss Kim and also sending my thanks?" Roseanne took large strides towards the front door and started putting her sneakers on.

"Um, there is one tiny problem." The helper responded.

"What's that?"

"Well, Miss Kim has insisted that she wants to meet all her guests before they leave. Just to find out what they liked or disliked about the place."

"Seriously? Uh... I really don't think that's necessary..." Roseanne stood up and got ready to leave.

"Please Miss... I mean, Roseanne. Miss Kim is a really pleasant girl, don't worry."

Roseanne bit her bottom lip in contemplation. She somehow found that really hard to believe. Rich people are seldom pleasant, at least from her past experiences. The words "rich" and "pleasant" just don't seem to mash well together.

Not wanting to make the situation awkward and difficult, however, Roseanne briefly nodded. "So, can I see her now? Make it a really quick one?"

"Miss Kim is currently at school. She will be back in the evening. Perhaps you could meet her then."

"I guess that'll just have to do. Alright." Roseanne agreed.

"Ah yes, Roseanne. Which school do you attend? Also, what time does school finish for you today?" The servant questioned.

"Why?"

"The chauffeur will send you to and from school. Instructions from Miss Kim." The servant finished with a smile.

"Thank you so much but I'm pretty comfortable with taking the subway." Roseanne refused as politely as she could. This Miss Kim really was something. She was like the epitome of a princess. Roseanne secretly wondered if this mysterious girl had even seen a subway in her life.

-----

"Hey Rosie, over here!" A girl with straight black hair beckoned to Roseanne as she entered the lecture theatre.