Chapter 5

Jennie sat at her study table and rummaged through her schoolbag for her Computer Science textbook when the little brown box from earlier that morning fell out.

Slightly curious, she picked it up carefully and examined it from different angles, cautiously checking every side. It even had a little red bow attached to it at the top.

She gingerly lifted the cover off and a smile spread across her face upon seeing its contents. It was a little keychain of Brownie the dog, complete with soft fur and a realistic collar made out of leather-like material.

"Ahh, gwiyeowo..." Jennie heard herself say as she brought the adorable plaything to her face and cuddled it, feeling its cushiony texture. She then realized that there was a slip of paper that lay at the bottom of the package.

She turned it over and there was a compact little paragraph of words written in neat, black ink.

"Dear Jennie,

The last thing I want would be to freak you out or scare you away so I'm going to try and keep this short. It seems I have developed an epic crush on you ever since the day I saw you. I don't know how it happened but it just did. I hope you like the gift and I really wish we could perhaps be friends someday. Allow me to end with a funny riddle (which cracks me up every single time). Why did the girl toss her watch out of the window? Tell you what, if you'd give me a chance to be your friend, text me and I'll disclose the answer. Otherwise, I get what you mean. So... text me? Pretty please? Invert for my number. I really hope to receive that text. I'll be waiting patiently.

Yours sincerely,

Wendy"

Jennie stared at the words for a good few minutes before she eventually picked up her cell. She was kind of interested in finding out the answer but for the most part she just thought it would be rude to turn down such a lovely message.

J: Now will you tell me the answer? (:

W: Oh my God.

J: ?

W: You actually replied. Brb dying.

J: Come on, no tricks now. I want the answer.

W: Wait, you are Jennie, right?

J: I am.

W: Really?

J: Honestly.

W: Reaaaaaaaally?????

J: ...

W: Okay, okay.

J: Well?

W: She wanted to see time fly. Happy laughing! :D

As if on cue, three drops of sweat appeared at the side of Jennie's forehead.

"Of course..." She mumbled to herself before putting the slip of paper back where it belonged. She found an empty zipper on her schoolbag before delicately attaching Brownie to it.

J: Thank you, Wendy.

Jennie smiled to herself before putting the box aside.

W: You are most welcome. Thank you too, Jennie. You just made my day.

Upon reading those words, Jennie couldn't help but be reminded of how mean Lisa was to the poor girl earlier in the day.

J: Also, I'm sorry about my friend this morning. She didn't mean anything.

W: No offence taken. So I guess I'll be able to approach you and actually talk to you when I see you in school? :D

J: Sure. Feel free. (: