Chapter 6

After blanking out for a few moments, Roseanne did something she never actually thought she would've done. She pulled her apron off, dashed over to the counter to have it deposited, and headed straight for the door.

"Where do you think you're going?" Lisa's annoying voice stopped her.

"None of your business." Roseanne curtly answered before bolting out through the door.

Roseanne looked around for a while and finally caught sight of Jennie, who was attempting to cross the street, completely oblivious to a motorcycle that was speeding towards her.

Naturally, Roseanne sped over and grabbed the shorter girl by the wrist, timely pulling her back as the bike noisily rustled past them.

"Yah! Are you okay? Don't you have eyes? You could've been knocked down!" Roseanne found herself reprimanding the other girl. Jennie, who was obviously in shock because of the near accident and Roseanne's sudden change in attitude, could only stand still as she let the situation sink in.

"I..." Jennie tried to speak but she just wasn't able to formulate a coherent sentence.

"You should just be careful!" Roseanne filled in the blanks.

"Yes..." Jennie mumbled. She could still feel Roseanne's fingers wrapped tightly around her wrist. The girl must be really worried. But why?

"What made you so mad you had to leave?" Roseanne continued, her voice still anxious and cross.

At that, Jennie looked up to meet the taller girl's intense gaze. "She was clearly making you feel uncomfortable!"

"So what? I'm used to such things already! You just put your life in jeopardy for a nobody. It's not worth it." Roseanne argued heatedly.

"It's my own life! Why're you getting worked up over it? You obviously don't give that big a hoot about me because every single time I tried to talk to you, you just hurried off as if you couldn't stand me!" The shorter girl retorted.

It was a little amusing to see the two bantering back and forth. It was, after all, one of the longest conversations they both were having.

"I never said I couldn't stand you! You shouldn't jump to conclusions so quickly because it's not fair!" Roseanne snapped back, further tightening her grasp on Jennie's wrist.

It was only when Jennie pulled back with a disdainful expression and an "ouch" that Roseanne realized she had hurt the other girl.

"Gosh, I'm sorry!" Roseanne released her clutch at once, noticing that faint red marks had formed on Jennie's wrist.

"Pretty strong hands you have there." Jennie commented while examining the redness.

"Sorry... should I get you some ointment for that?" Roseanne scratched the back of her head clumsily, not knowing what else to say.

It seemed as though the storm was over.

"I'm fine." Jennie brushed it off.

"So uh, are you going to go back or what? You left your drink there." Roseanne muttered. She was back to her meek, insecure self once again.

At the mention of returning, Jennie recalled how Roseanne had left her apartment so suddenly in the beginning.

"If it's not too invasive a question, where are you living now?" Jennie conveniently ignored the girl's previous question.

"Some guesthouse. Why?" Roseanne answered obediently.

"So you have no intention whatsoever of ever moving back into my apartment?" Jennie continued.