Chapter 8

For the many weeks that followed, Jennie and Roseanne gradually grew to become inseparable. Lisa eventually gave up on trying to patch her friendship up with Jennie and thus the latter spent all her free time in school with Roseanne.

The two thoroughly enjoyed every single moment together but that was as far as things went. Nobody ever mentioned anything else about taking their friendship to a different level even though they both clearly had strong feelings for each other.

For Roseanne, it was still the inferiority complex. Although it was slowly fading away, she still couldn't muster enough confidence to do anything about her friendship with Jennie. Something just seemed to hold her back every time she wanted to bare her heart and reveal her emotions. For Jennie, it was the fear of rejection, simply put.

One fateful day, however, things were about to change. Or rather, seemed as though they were about to change. There was a storm going on that evening after classes and both girls decided to stay on campus until it died down. The two were perched upon a bench with absolutely nothing to do.

"Gosh, I'm freezing." Jennie rubbed her hands together rapidly, desperately trying to warm her numb fingers.

"Here." Roseanne immediately started to unbutton her coat.

"No, no. I'm fine. Keep it on." Jennie grabbed Roseanne's hands to stop her.

"You sure?" Roseanne looked at her apprehensively.

"Of course! I could just sit closer to you!" Jennie grinned playfully, inching nearer to the other girl until their shoulders touched.

Roseanne smiled and gently picked up Jennie's right hand, rubbing it between hers in an attempt to make the girl feel warmer. Jennie habitually leaned against the taller girl's shoulder, enjoying the contact.

Just then, a question popped into Jennie's mind, the same question she had stowed away deep in the corners of her heart. For some reason, everything felt right at that moment and she felt a little braver than usual that day. After a few more moments of contemplation, Jennie decided to just go ahead with it.

"Rosie-yah..." She started.

"Hm?" The other girl replied softly, still calmly massaging her hand.

"What exactly are we?"

At her question, Roseanne stopped short, and a surge of emotion arose in her heart. It wasn't because she didn't have an answer. She knew exactly what she wanted them to be but she wasn't so sure she was good enough.

She never thought this topic would surface so soon. She wasn't prepared at all. She had frequently painted many scenarios of how she would finally develop enough backbone and assurance to ask the girl out, and this definitely wasn't the time.

She had to make sure she was capable enough of giving Jennie complete happiness before jumping to any conclusions. She loved the girl more than anything else in the world, even more than herself, but she did not want to rush into anything. The last thing she wanted was for Jennie to suffer because of her incompetence. As such, she could only sit there in utter silence.

"Aish, you know what, forget I even asked. I know it's silly and ridiculous." Jennie sat up straight at once and drew her hand back swiftly.

"Jennie... I'm sorry. It's just that... I don't know. My mind's in a mess right now... but it's not you, okay? It's really just me. I..." Roseanne halted when she noticed how upset the other girl looked. She felt so guilty for messing things up.

"Are you alright?" Roseanne inquired temperately.

"I think I'd better go." Jennie hastily seized her bag and walked away in huge strides before Roseanne could pull her back. The rims of her eyes grew warm and a sour sensation built up in her nose as she walked away, and before she knew it, the tears were already falling uncontrollably.