Chapter 14

Roseanne nodded affirmatively to herself as she attentively kept an eye on Wendy through the glass door panels of the bookstore on the second level of the school campus. The girl appeared to be occupied with the wide array of magazines on display, occasionally grabbing one or two to leaf through briefly.

Roseanne leaned against the metal railing behind her as she waited calmly, taking the time to go through all she wanted to say. Wendy eventually finished browsing, and just as she stepped out of the bookstore, Roseanne marched over in huge strides. The girl was almost in shock at the sight of her, digging through her memory at once and wondering what she did wrong this time.

"I'm sorry I told her... maybe I shouldn't have but I just needed--"

"Hey, hey, it's okay. Listen, Wendy, I'm not here to do what I did the other day. In point of fact, I'm here to apologize for the way I behaved that time."

Wendy could only blink her eyes as she continued looking at the taller girl, utterly deadpan. Roseanne couldn't exactly read what the girl was feeling but went on anyways.

"It was wrong of me to have affronted you all of a sudden. You did nothing wrong. I was way out of line. I'm sorry." Strangely enough, it felt good to be facing up to her own mistakes, and Roseanne somehow sensed that her confidence had expanded there and then.

"Well, I guess it was partially my fault as well. I apologize if whatever I did caused any tension between Jennie and yourself. I didn't know there was already something going on between the both of you..." The shorter girl sounded so remorseful that it led to Roseanne feeling a little guilty.

"Please don't feel repentant. It had nothing to do with you at all. I shouldn't have interfered with whatever was going on between you and her. It really was none of my business. I was the one who messed things up, and that's the reason why I'm here to clear the air. So if you'd allow me to, I apologize once again."

"Ah, it's nothing! If it does make you feel better, I never took offense. I was just a little confused, that's all." Wendy was still a little taken aback at Roseanne's sudden attitude adjustment, but she was pleased and relieved for the most part.

"Can we be friends then? I could use a lunchtime buddy." Roseanne offered. She recalled seeing the girl having meals by herself most of the time.

"That... that would be wonderful. Roseanne, thank you so much." Wendy looked as though she was gonna burst into tears any moment.

"Nah. Thank you, Wendy. For taking care of Jennie the other day and for whatever you've done for her."

"Wait, I'm still allowed to have a crush on her, right?" The girl answered smiling.

When Roseanne's face turned serious instantly, Wendy swiftly blurted, "Okay, I get it. Just checking."

At the assurance, Roseanne grinned before adding, "You know, just the other day, Jisoo was telling me about how cute you looked in that Mickey tank top."

"Jisoo? The girl who's always hanging out with you during lectures and breaks?" Wendy, who seemed to have a renewed sense of purpose, looked almost delighted that somebody might actually be crushing on her.

Roseanne nodded shortly with a small "Mhm".

"Come to think of it, she is really pretty..."

"Well, if you want, I could, you know, acquaint the both of you... It really isn't that big a deal, it's just being friends... if you want."

"Really Roseanne? You'd do that?" Wendy's face lit up even brighter at her suggestion.

"Why not?"