Chapter 10

A cheerful Jennie stood patiently by the school gate, waiting for Roseanne's class to end. She smiled endearingly upon a couple that just walked out of school hand-in-hand, playfully nudging each other as they did. She glanced at her watch again and noticed it was five minutes to two. Roseanne should be done any time now.

"Why, hello there!" Jennie swerved round at the voice and was greeted by Wendy.

"Hey, Wendy. Good to see you!" A smile played across Jennie's lips as she returned the salutation.

"Waiting for someone?" The petite girl asked.

"Yeah... she should be out any minute..." Jennie replied, throwing her watch another brief look.

"I'm assuming it's Roseanne?" Wendy's face seemed to fall a little at the mentioning of the girl.

"Uh huh. We're going for ice-cream." Jennie responded with a happy expression.

"Oh..." Wendy nodded distractedly.

"Where are you heading?" Jennie cocked her head to the side questioningly.

"Ah? Me? Same old boring home, I guess. My friends never ever want to hangout... all they care about is studying, books, and grades... I can't even remember the last time I had a good time." Wendy made a wry face.

"Really? Mm, would you wanna come along with us then?" Jennie couldn't help but feel sorry for the girl.

"Huh? Are you serious? Would Roseanne be alright with that?" The girl sounded more excited than worried.

"It'll be fine! Don't worry. Besides, it's time I returned the favor. I have yet to thank you for consoling me and taking me home the other day." Jennie flashed her pearly whites adorably.

"Don't mention it. Well, I guess I'll tag along if it's okay." Wendy was quick to accept the request.

As the two were busily chatting away about school and other random issues, Roseanne finally met up with them.

"Hey Nini..." She stopped short at the sight of Wendy. She had started seeing the girl in a negative light ever since the day she sent Jennie home all wrapped up in that jacket of hers.

"Rosie!" Jennie almost pounced onto the taller girl, pulling her in for a tight hug. It had been less than a day but she missed her already.

"Hi Roseanne." Wendy merely waved.

"Hey." Roseanne faked a quick smile as she hugged Jennie back firmly.

"How was class?" Jennie linked arms with Roseanne at once and cuddled closer to her.

"Mm, good." Roseanne barely nodded. She was still waiting for an explanation as to why Wendy was there playing gooseberry.

"You look tired. Let's go enjoy ourselves, okay? By the way, Wendy will be joining us. Her friends kinda abandoned her so I thought it'd be nice for her to come along. Is Rosie agreeable?" Jennie puffed her cheeks out in a cute manner.

"Ah... yeah, that's fine." Roseanne forced a tight-lipped smile as the three headed off towards the subway station. As much as she wanted to disagree, this trip was meant to cheer Jennie up. Roseanne didn't want to do anything to spoil the girl's mood. Besides, all that aegyo made it virtually impossible for anybody to say no.

-----

"Vanilla's good too! You should try it! Here!" Wendy reached out, bringing her spoon to Jennie's lips as the girl quickly devoured the small portion of ice-cream.

Roseanne couldn't stand to watch the two as she stared back down at her cup of partially-melted ice-cream. She stirred at the dark-brown compound thoughtlessly, too full to take another mouthful even though she had only started.