50: Last Night

"You know what I've just realized?"

"What?"

"We've never been on a date."

I sat up straighter on my couch and incredulously glanced at Antonio. "Of course we have."

"No," he scrambled to stand up and pace across the living room of my house. "Sure, we've taken walks and binged three movies in a row, but when have I actually taken you... I don't know—to a fancy museum? Or a restaurant!"

"Technically, we've been to McDonald's," I thoughtfully mused.

Although he pretended he didn't hear me, his lips twitched into a betraying smile. "Y'know what? Let's go to one right now."

"What? A restaurant?" I asked.

"Yes," he declared, his dark eyes practically shining. "Our first real date."

"Dressed like this?" I giggled in disbelief, glancing down at my disheveled attire—a pink hoodie I've had for years, and grey sweatpants so large that they pooled at my feet. Nonetheless, Antonio left no room for argument. He effortlessly tugged on my wrists and pulled me upright from the couch, merely smirking as he led me away from the living room, out through the front door, and into his car.

"You're crazy," I breathed as he opened the car door for me.

"All the best people are," he grinned.

"Quoting Alice In Wonderland. Now you've truly done it," I quipped. He rolled his dark eyes and closed the car door. I couldn't help but smile.

• • •

"Everyone's staring at us," I murmured to Antonio, instinctively grasping his arm. We walked past a line full of people clad in expensive dresses and dapper suits. Each look we got was dirtier than the last. I couldn't exactly blame them, as we were practically in our pajamas.

"Can't blame them," Antonio smirked, glancing down at me. "We're the best-looking couple in here anyways."

"Sure, that's it."

We made our way to the front of the queue, where a mousy man in a suit indignantly stopped us.

"Ezcuse me, monsieur, mademoiselle. You must wait in line like the rest!" He said in a thick French accent.

Antonio merely bent down and whispered something in his ear. The worker glanced at him up and down before suddenly smiling and frantically nodding.

"Right this way, sir."

I was bewildered at his sudden mood change and practically ran to keep up with the worker's fast pace, as he led us through the candle-lit restaurant.

"Hey, no fair! We've been waiting here for four hours!" The next couple in line indignantly called out after our departing figures.

Antonio turned around to stick his tongue out at them. I slapped his shoulder.

"What on earth did you say to that worker?" I curiously questioned, glancing at the man who was practically running around to make arrangements for us.

"Just told him my name," he shrugged. "Status matters way more than it should in this stupid town."

I nodded in understanding and gently rested my head in my palm. A scintillating candle at the center of the table illuminated Antonio's features; his sharp jaw, his high cheekbones, his dark eyebrows, his tanned skin from spending too much time outside. I didn't even realize it, but a smile was plastered onto my face. Looking at him made me simply... happy.